- "It's my betrothal gift to Astrid. It means that we'll be together forever."
- "This was my father's betrothal gift to my mother. And he gave it to me, to give to you."
- ―Hiccup as he gives Astrid the necklace[src]
In "Sandbusted", Hiccup reveals that he is intending to gift it to Astrid to celebrate their six months' betrothal. However, the necklace ends up getting stolen while Hiccup and the Dragon Riders are visiting the Northern Markets. After a series of misfortunate events, Hiccup eventually retrieves it back from the thief and presents it to Astrid.
Following Dagur and Mala's wedding announcement in "Mi Amore Wing", Astrid suddenly finds herself craving for Hiccup's affection. She decides to put the betrothal necklace on, hoping Hiccup will notice her wearing it and pay her attention. Hiccup remains oblivious to Astrid's efforts, though he does notice that something is bothering her, and they end up having a lover's spat which ends with Astrid tossing the necklace back at him. Hiccup holds on to it until he and Astrid properly reconcile again near the end of the episode. After a heartfelt confession and an exchange of apologies, Astrid accepts the necklace back.
In "King of Dragons, Part 1" Astrid is seen packing the necklace along with her other belongings as she and the Dragon Riders prepare for their journey back to Berk.
The necklace has the face of a Viking on the left side and the face of a dragon on the right. Due to age, the pendant itself appears to have rusted.
The pendant is held in a matching bronze chain.
- The first time this information was released was in an exclusive clip on the Rise of Berk Facebook page.
- This is the second item to be passed down from Valka to Hiccup, via Stoick. The first being Hiccup's Viking Helmet, and now the betrothal necklace.
- Hiccup gave Astrid the betrothal necklace six moon cycles after their betrothal was first announced. This means that they have been engaged for six months by the time of "Sandbusted".