- "I love this franchise. It's just.. you know.. It's funny, I was hanging out with Taron Egerton last night and he was like 'Just let me do a couple lines in the movie! It's my favorite! It's my favorite!' He watches it all the time, I'm now going to try to get him a couple of lines in the movie, it's like it's so much.. In my whole career it's one of the proudest things I've ever been involved in. It's such a fun, sweet journey, and I've become quite attached to my character, it's great to play a guy who's huge and bulky and actually not have to go there, you know?"
- ―Gerard on How to Train Your Dragon 3 for an interview with HEYUGUYS, October 20, 2017
Gerard Butler is a Scottish actor who provided the voice of Stoick the Vast in the film adaptation of How To Train Your Dragon, the animated shorts Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon, and Gift of the Night Fury, and the sequel film. He provides the voice of Stoick the Vast along side his closest friend Craig Ferguson who does the voice of Stoick's closet friend Gobber.
He was born in 13th November, 1969. Butler achieved widespread fame for playing the lead role of King Leonidas in the film 300. In his review of the film, Roger Ebert joked that Butler seemed to be "channeling" his character of Leonidas when voicing Stoick. He also dryly noted how many of the Scandinavian Vikings in the film spoke with Scottish brogues, including Butler, Craig Ferguson (Gobber), and David Tennant (Spitelout).
- The Phantom of the Opera (2004) (The Phantom)
- 300 (2006) (King Leonidas)
- P.S. I Love You (2007) (Gerry)
- Dreamworks How to Train Your Dragon Legends (2010)
- The Bounty Hunter (2010) (Milo Boyd)
- How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
- How to Train Your Dragon 3 (2019)
- Gerard is confirmed to reprise his role as Stoick the Vast in How to Train Your Dragon 3.
- In an exclusive interview with Screen Rant, Butler mentioned his recent work recording for How To Train Your Dragon 3, and called the film “beautiful”.