Gobber is tasked with training Hairy Hooligan teens in various skills needed to become a Viking: catching and training dragons, pirating skills, sword-fighting, and rudeness. He is incapable of speaking in any tone of voice other than a bellow. He has trained many students that became great warriors, being a capable warrior himself. He normally wears his small shorts. He believes Hiccup's group is the best group he has ever taught.
Gobber is considered an Elder amongst the Hairy Hooligan Tribe. As such, at a Thor'sday Thursday celebration in How to Train Your Dragon, when the Viking Initiates' dragon run amok, he was included in an Elder Huddle to decide their fate. Since the initiates failed to demonstrate control over their dragons, the Elder Huddle decided to exile all of them.
Dealing with the Green Death
Gobber, along with 400 Viking warriors, try to yell at the Green Death to Go Away from Berk. The colossal dragon roars back, then slices Gobber's clothes off and flicks him back to Hooligan Village. He goes through the grass roof of his own house, and lands naked in his chair next to the fireplace. There are no clothes in the house except for his Cousin Agatha's dress. He puts it on and returns to the other Vikings to assist in other endeavors to make the Dragon leave.
Training Hooligan Novices
In How to Be a Pirate, Gobber is indicated to be the head and teach of the Pirate Training Program for Hooligan novices. He leads all lessons, including 'Swordfighting at Sea (Beginners Only). He teaches with the same rough, no-nonsense approach as the Dragon Training Program.
Advanced Pirate Training
How to Speak Dragonese begins with Gobber ordering about the Hooligan Novices in the Sea-Known-As-Woden's-Bathtub from his ship, the Fat Boar. Each novice is paired with another and captain a smaller ship of their own construction. They are to board a Peaceable fishing vessel as part of the 'Board-an-Enemy Ship' lesson.
After Hiccup and Fishlegs fail to retrieve a Peaceable helmet (but instead boarded a Roman Ship) and sink their boat - The Hopeful Puffin - in Hooligan Harbor, Gobber has harsh words for them at their lesson failure. He puts both boys on Limpet rations for three weeks.
Gobber takes the Hooligan novices to the Wrath of Thor and Mount Villainy in a sleigh pulled by Sabre-Tooth Driver Dragons across the completely frozen Sullen Sea. During this field trip, the students are to shoot as many Semi-Spotted Snowpeckers as possible with bows and arrows while skiing. After giving instructions, Gobber goes to sleep in the sleigh to await their return.
In the eleventh book, he is captured by Alvin and his beard is cut off, the ultimate Viking shame.
- "He was a seven foot giant with a mad glint in his one working eye and a beard like exploding fireworks."
- ―How to Train Your Dragon
Gobber is a large muscular man with an unkempt beard. He also has a very loud voice. His yell "made the hairs on the back of Hiccup's neck stick straight up like the spines on a sea urchin."
He is further described as "a six-and-a-half-foot hairy muscle-bound lunatic, with a beard like a ferret having a fit and biceps the size of your head" in Book 2.
Book 3 further describes his size, muscles, and wardrobe.
- "In the first boat, the Fat Boar, sat Gobber the Belch, a six-and-a-half-foot giant in teeny-weeny hairy shorts, who had leg muscles so enormous they had muscles of their own, and a beard like a hedgehog struck by lightning."
- ―Book 3
In Book 4 Gobber is compared to a grizzly bear.
- "he was an enormous monster of a man wrapped up in furs who could easily been mistaken for a grizzly bear with a dirty red beard and an attitude problem."
- ―Book 4
- "AS IT IS, YOU ARE THE MOST USELESS, MISERABLE, PATHETIC EXCUSES FOR TADPOLE POOS I HAVE EVER MET IN MY LIFE!"
- ―About Hiccup and Fishlegs in Book 3
- "VIKINGS DON'T TALK IN SILLY FOREIGN LANGUAGES, THEY YELL, HICCUP, YELL!"
- ―Book 3
- "GEDDONWITHIT, YOU MISERABLE WHITE WORMS! I'VE HAD SMAILS THAT HAVE MOVED QUICKER THAN YOU LOT!"
- ―Yelling at the Driver Dragons in Book 4
- "WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING SKULKING IN THERE? GET OUT AND STAND TO ATTENTION, YOU PATHETIC DRIBBLES OF EARWIG DROPPINGS!"
- ―Book 4
- "NONSENSE! Vikings don't get SICK! Flu is for softies! Colds are for babies! Plagues are for girlies. I'VE never had a day's sickness in all my life, not even a sore throat."
- ―Book 4
|"How to Train Your Dragon":||Appears||"How to Ride a Dragon's Storm":||Absent|
|"How to Be a Pirate":||Appears||"How to Break a Dragon's Heart":||Absent|
|"How to Speak Dragonese":||Appears||"How to Steal a Dragon's Sword":||Absent|
|"How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse":||Appears||"How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel":||Absent|
|"How to Twist a Dragon's Tale":||Absent||"How to Betray a Dragon's Hero":||Absent|
|"A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons":||Absent||"How to Fight a Dragon's Fury":||Absent|