The Gronckle is a dragon first featured in How to Train Your Dragon (Book 1), and is mentioned throughout the Book Series as Hunting and Battle Dragons. They have shown through the books to be rather loyal to their humans, and fought along side them in the Dragon Rebellion.
Traits and Abilities
The Gronckle is described as the "plug ugly" of the dragon world. They are rather rotund, and can easily get too overweight to fly. They are also prone to dragon acne, perhaps accounting for their pimply hides.
- "Wartihog and Dogsbreath got into a loudly whispered fight over a Gronckle, a heavily-armored brute with fangs like kitchen knives sticking out in such numbers that it couldn't keep its mouth shut."
- ―How to Train Your Dragon (Book 1)
In the Books
Various Vikings through the Books Series have Gronckles as Hunting Dragons, including:
- Dogsbreath the Duhbrain, named Seaslug
- Stoick the Vast, named Newtsbreath
- Thin Prefect (this Gronckle was more of a slave)
- How to Train Your Dragon(Book 1), Cressida Cowell. 2003
- The Complete Book of Dragons: Guide To Dragon Species, Cressida Cowell. 2014
- How To Train Your Dragon Books - Website