- "I am Harald Forkbeard: trader, navigator and master of adventure at your service."
- ―Harald introducing himself
Harald Forkbeard is a character introduced in third expansion pack for School of Dragons, Battle for the Edge.
He is a pirate from a distant land and has a pet Terrible Terror, Leopold.
Tricking the Dragon Riders
Harald show's up on Dragon's Edge after the Riders deal with the first attack by Dragon Hunters. While Hiccup welcomes the newcomer, Astrid is suspicious of him.
He accompanies the Dragon Riders to the neighboring islands around Dragon's Edge. He even frees a Prickleboggle from a dragon trap.
However, after the Dragon Riders head to Hobblegrunt Island to save some captured dragons, they return to find that Harald has stolen the hunter's weaponry, as well the Book of Dragons. He soon traps the Archaeologist, whom the Riders began to speculate was working with him, in a cage to prevent him from interfering with his plans.
The Dragon Riders use the Flightmare's frozen mist to paralyze and capture Harald. While he is not remorseful about his actions, he offers to take the player to the Dragon Hunters' hideout to save the dragons they captured. Afterwards, he sails towards Dragon's Edge with a mysterious object from Hobblegrunt Island the Hunters stole, with them following behind.
Encounter with the Green Death
Harold had made several dealings at Auction Island, including providing for a scam of a rock turning Dragons to stone. He finds these rocks at Dragon Island. The next time the Dragon Riders see him is when they had gone to Dragon Island. He states that he is stuck on the island and asks for help. The riders accept but they first want to solve the problem with the Green Death. When the riders are distracted by the huge dragon, Harald stoles Astrid's compass and uses a secret tunnel to escape. He then tries to sail off, but the Green Death attacks him. The player then distracts the dragon who calms down in front of Toothless, the Alpha. Harald then fires a wood piece which gets in the Green Death's neck. While the player helps the Green Death, Harald makes his escape, leaving the blue orb to the Dragon Riders.
Watching from the Shadows
When Hiccup and the player visit the Leviathan after he grew up, Harald and a mysterious person are seen in the background, watching the scene.
Torn between Loyalties
Later during the Expansion, "Rise of Stormheart", Harald is working for another person, Nikora Stormheart. He acts as a liaison between her and the Dragon Riders on Dragon's Edge. Despite his professed loyalty to his new boss, he helps the player and Riders destroy Stormheart's stash of Grimora venom, claiming to be worried about Leopold's safety.
Fight against the Dragon Riders
Harald has blonde hair, pulled back into a banded ponytail and a thin, pointed beard.
He wears a brown tunic with a red sash and brown belt over it, and a yellow long sleeve shirt. His gloves have fur lacing on them, as well as on his boots and tunic. Harald also wears decorated, metal guard on his left shoulder and forearm.
- "I hope you don't mind that I made myself at home."
- "I only trade with upstanding vikings."
- "Your dragons are amazing! I'm sure they can protect me."
- "You won't regret taking me in... I promise. I'm a right resourceful kind of guy. You'll reap all sorts of benefits with me around."
- "Looks like I've got to learn a lot about dragons, Hiccup. I look forward to stealing all your knowledge, ha ha!"
- "Hey there! I'm getting a feel for the waters around your Dragon's Edge. I was navigating the shortest path here with the currents, but I appreaciate you slowing down on the flight over to give me a sporting chance to keep up."
- "These creatures are pretty convenient."
- "A dragon is stuck in a Dragon Hunter cage? Say no more, friend. I've picked up a few useful skills on the seven seas."
- "Hello dragon! Don't claw my eyes out, you hear? Harald's going to get you out of that sticky little situation."
- "'Things go wrong'? You don't trust me? I'm wounded, Hiccup"
- "But you are the mighty Dragon Hunters! There's no way a dragon could best you if you put your mind to it."
- His name appears to be based on Harald II of Denmark, sometimes referred to as Harald Forkbeard.
- Hiccup's trust and Astrid's mistrust towards Harald mirrors their first impression of Heather. They both also have lied and stole the Book of Dragons.
- However, Heather was trying to save her parents, while Harald was trying to make a profit.
- Harald is the third person to lie and betray the Dragon Riders. The other two are Heather and Hroar. Coincidentally, all their names begin with "H."
- Harald is the only villain that has a dragon who is truly loyal to their master. Alvin's relationship with Groundsplitter is unclear, Dagur's Skrill has escaped, and Drago Bludvist tortured his Bewilderbeast into following his orders.
- His name is nearly identical to Hiccup's French name, "Harold."