Heather is an original character from DreamWorks Dragons television series. She makes a very brief appearance on DreamWorks Dragons: The Series but later returns as a regular on Dragons: Race to the Edge with a dragon of her own, a Razorwhip named Windshear.
Heather is the daughter of Oswald the Agreeable and sister to Dagur the Deranged. She was given a horn by Hooligan chieftain Stoick the Vast. However, she was separated from her family and was taken in by a couple who raised her as their own daughter.
Dragons: Riders of Berk
Heather is first found under a wrecked boat, when the Dragon Riders check out the scene. She becomes frightened at the first sight of them. She then tells them that pirates attacked her family's ship and were laying siege to her island. Trying to make her feel better, Hiccup let her stay at his house until they got things sorted out.
That night, however, Astrid saw Heather spying on her and Stormfly, thus becoming suspicious of the newcomer.The next morning, Hiccup was trying to find a way to make Toothless have a greater speed. Heather helped Hiccup figure out a way to increase Toothless' speed by using a shorter connecting rod, which would push the rider back in the saddle more, making them more streamlined. Hiccup thanks her for the suggestion. While the two tested it out, Hiccup ended up missing his meet up with Astrid to check their dragons' timing. When they got to the Academy, Heather began to realize Astrid's animosity when she asked her if she slept well and was given a glare. She was then showed the Book of Dragons, and Astrid grabbed it when Heather asked to see it. Though Astrid tried to warn Hiccup, he said he trusted her.
Heather began to ask the other boys about their dragons and their abilities. Afterwards, she looked around Hiccup's room for the Book of Dragons to find information on Deadly Nadders. Astrid caught Heather, but she managed to convince Hiccup that she was cleaning his room and found it. Astrid then tells Hiccup about seeing Heather sneaking around last night, but once again she tells him that she went for a walk because she was having nightmares. Astrid storms off, and Heather apologizes for reading the book, though Hiccup still trusts her.
Heather then sneaks off to Stormfly's pen and tries to gain her trust by feeding her chicken. Astrid catches her again, but this time Heather doesn't use her "innocent routine," saying Astrid was too smart for it in a cocky manner. She further pushes her buttons when even Stormfly was taking a liking to her.
Later, when Stoick and Hiccup are clearing the table, Heather goes for the book under Hiccup's bed. However, Hiccup has it with him, leaving her in a desperate situation. Heather then makes her way to the beach, unaware that Astrid, who was in the forest venting, was following her. Heather met up with Savage, revealing she was working with the Outcasts. She explains that the Riders have a book with everything they know about dragons, though she doesn't have it. Begging for more time, she tells Savage she will get it. Astrid accidentally knocks over some pebbles, alerting Heather to make her way back. Astrid tries to warn Hiccup with what she discovered, but Heather is already in bed, apparently having been asleep the whole time.
The next morning, Heather not only makes off with the Book of Dragons, but Stormfly as well. While she tries to fly her, Heather is unskilled at dragon riding, moving in a sloppy manner. Finally convinced, the Dragon Riders chase, and soon catch up to her. Astrid manages to jump onto Stormfly's back and the two girls fight for her and the book. When they cross into Outcast territory, Astrid knocks Heather off, along with the book. Snotlout catches her while Hiccup tries to grab the book. However, the Outcasts fire at him and Toothless, forcing them to retreat. Leaving the Book of Dragons in the hands of Alvin the Treacherous.
Heather is then locked up in Berk. She breaks out of jail and runs toward a boat but Astrid catches her. After being thrown back in her cell, Heather reveals that the only reason she worked for Alvin was because he had her parents. Astrid questions her pirate story and she admits she made it up. Heather says she did it because she needed the Riders to trust her, but Astrid, unmoved, tells that they no longer trusted her.
When Astrid poses as her to retrieve the Book of Dragons with Hiccup and the others as backup, Heather gets a plan. Bucket comes with cabbage soup and sees that the jail is empty. He goes inside, and Heather, on the ceiling, jumps and knocks him out. Heather manages to escape and takes Stormfly again, but this time to help the teens. Astrid manages to retrieve the book and rescue Heather's parents, after learning she was telling the truth. When Heather finally gets to Outcast Island, she helps the teens fight back. After getting the Book of Dragons and headed back to Berk, Heather and Astrid have finally become friends, as she thanks her for saving her family. Heather leaves Berk with her parents.
Dragons: Race to the Edge
Some time later, Heather's village was attacked by Dagur the Deranged. After that, she found and trained a Razorwhip, naming her Windshear. The two later started to raid ships and redistributing the stolen goods back to their rightful owners. Three years after the end of The Berserker War, one of her raids was spotted by Bucket and Mulch, thus drawing attention of Berk's Dragon Riders and was tracked back to her camp. One by one, she incapacitates them until only Hiccup is left. After a chase, Hiccup corners Heather and she reveals her identity. She explains she only did it because she had made a lot of enemies and she didn't want the Riders to get involved. After clearing things up, Hiccup and the riders invited her to stay at the Dragon's Edge.
When they asked how she trained a Razorwhip, Heather explained it was because of training the Riders showed her. After telling them how she and Windshear met, they soon noticed a more intense side to Heather. While this worried Hiccup, Astrid enjoyed it.
Later that evening, Hiccup asks why Heather was attacking ships, but she just tells him not to worry, though Hiccup is. She tells him that a lot has happened in the last few years, how everything had changed for her. Hiccup is still surprised by her change, even unsure it's the real her. Heather is about to tell him what happened, but shrugs it off. Hiccup assures her that the others are there for her. Heather thanks him for being a great friend.
That night, Heather locks the dragons in their pens so she can't be followed. Unknown to her, Hiccup and Toothless are not far behind. She then meets up with Trader Johann to get the information she's looking for. Heather then heads out to find Dagur, to get her revenge for her parents and village. However, Dagur was not traveling alone, and used the chains from the Reaper to capture her and Windshear. Thankfully, Hiccup and Toothless arrive in time and blast the winches, freeing them. While Heather wants to stay and fight, Hiccup convinces her to retreat for Windshear's safety.<
On the way back, Hiccup explains that he knows Dagur wiped out her village and tries to tell her she doesn't have to do everything alone, though Heather tells him she feels destined to be alone. She admits to him she was actually separated from her birth family at a young age. All she could really remember was her father's hands and the smell of his shield he let her play with. She also tells him her horn was given to her by her birth father, wishing to know who he was.
After arriving back at Dragon's Edge, Heather apologized for locking up the dragons, thinking the Riders wouldn't let her go if they knew what she was up to. The Dragon Riders bury the hatchet, saying Heather was one of them now. Once again, they, excluding Hiccup, swoon over her, but Astrid pulls her away for some girl time.
The two quickly bond at target practice. Astrid still wants Heather to show her how she made her axe. Heather then asks if Astrid and Hiccup were a couple, throwing Astrid's focus off. She explains that they are just friends, but Heather doesn't buy it. Astrid then pokes about her and Snotlout, though Heather says she likes a little smarts, like Fishlegs. Astrid teases this, finding it hard to believe. The girls move on to another activity, jumping of cliffs and grabbing on to their dragons. Astrid makes it, but Heather misses, though Windshear catches her in time.
Heather decides to show Astrid something at her camp. There they meet up with Johann, who was worried about Heather as she was not around. The two explain that Johann is Heather's informant on Dagur. He tells them that Dagur is about to make a deal for some new ships with anti-dragon catapults and grappling hooks in the Sea of Despair. After the deal is done, Johann won't be able to find him again. Heather and Astrid head back to the dragon camp for reinforcements, but the Riders are unsure as Hiccup and Toothless, who have headed to Berk, are not there, even Astrid. Heather is hurt by this, thinking that all they had said about having her back was just talk. But before she leaves, the others have decided to join her, as long as it was just a capture mission. Heather agrees, saying they'll sink Dagur's armada and throw him back in prison on Outcast Island. Astrid leaves the map for Hiccup to find so he can meet up with them later.
When they arrive, the twins, Snotlout, and Fishlegs distract Dagur's crew, while Astrid, Heather and their dragons sneak aboard. The two quickly capture Dagur, and when Heather tells Windshear to finish him off, Astrid protests, but Heather has changed her mind, as Dagur didn't capture her village. He is able to tell Heather something, but she gags him, giving the signal to Windshear, only to be stopped by Toothless' blast. Hiccup arrives, trying to tell Heather not to do this, but she isn't shaken, until he tells her his father's seal is caved into Heather horn, which he found earlier. He explains that years ago, Stoick gave it to Oswald the Agreeable for his newborn daughter, telling her he was Heather's father, as well as Dagur's father. Heather is horrified, realizing that Dagur the Deranged, the person who destroyed everything she had, is actually her very own brother!
When the rest of Dagur's fleet shows up, Hiccup tells Heather they need to go, but she is still in shock. Dagur offers Heather to join him, as he's the only family she has left. He even tempted her by saying he knows she feels the Berserker blood flowing through her veins. She gets to her feet, grabs her axe, and leaps over Dagur onto Windshear. She glares at him, unable to accept him as her brother, but still spares his life.
That evening, Heather begins packing to leave. Astrid tries to convince her to stay, where she'll be safe and have support. Heather refuses, as she has a lot to figure out. Heather thanks Astrid, saying it was great to have a friend again before taking off.
Heather returned when she was on the Dragon Hunters' ship. Thinking she was captured as well, Astrid tried to tell her to run, but surprised when Dagur showed up. Heather claimed to have joined her brother and the Dragon Hunters. Astrid was furious at Heather for betraying the Riders after all they had done for her. Heather decided to join Dagur as he was the only family she had left, and said he would never hurt her. When the Dragon Riders escaped, Heather confronted Astrid when she was trying to save Stormfly, which she appeared to be victorious. When Dagur came up with the idea to throw the riders overboard, Heather insisted they use them for work and take them to Viggo, which Ryker agreed too. While Dagur was mad at Heather for turning down his idea, she said she did it to protect him. If the riders escaped, Ryker would be blamed and not Dagur. To this Dagur happily said she was his sister.
When Hiccup and Snotlout gave the others a chance to escape, Heather took on Astrid, instead of letting two Dragon Hunters. Though a quick scuffle, Astrid knocks Heather off her feet, and again races to Stormfly. Heather follows her, pulling out her axe while Astrid grabs Stormfly's chains. Appearing to have been beaten, Heather returns to Dagur and Ryker, who then latter claimed they were closer to the Dragon Eye.
In their next encounter, Heather was found camping out in a snowstorm on Glacier Island. Astrid soon found her, and while they and their dragons, stood off, the two soon hugged, revealing Heather was not actually working with the Dragon Hunters, but spying on them. She even sent Dagur on an impossible quest to find another Dragon Eye. It was also Heather who gave the information to Astrid about them coming to Glacier Island and not Trader Johann like she claimed. Heather told Astrid about a cave where she believed the Snow Wraith was hibernating and planned to keep Ryker as far way as possible. Though Astrid was uncomfortable about keeping this a secret from Hiccup, since she never lied to him. But Heather insists to keep the other riders in the dark, knowing Hiccup would want to pull her out.
Heather tried to convince Ryker to search the coast, but he still insisted on checking the caves. Heather purposely revealed their location to the Riders, and saved Hiccup from being shot at by a Hunter by knocking him out. Ryker confronted Heather about this, but she protested that Hiccup was more valuable alive than dead. Getting an idea, Ryker then command Heather to use Windshear to trapped the Dragon Riders in the cave, which she hesitantly agreed to. After the Hunters captured the Snow Wraiths, the Riders manages to take them back to relocate, while Hiccup went after Heather and Ryker. Hiccup was about to shoot them down, forcing Astrid to tell him that Heather was on their side, giving her a chance to escape.
Astrid explained, back on Dragon's Edge, that Heather only got close to Dagur so she could avenge her family. When she found about the Dragon Hunters, she continued the charade to find a way to taken them down as well. According to Heather, the leader of the Dragon Hunters was not Ryker, but a man named Viggo Grimborn, whom everyone was afraid of. Since Viggo stayed in the shadows, Heather planned to work with the Hunters to draw him out.
Heather joined in the attack seize Dragon's Edge while trying to give Ruffnut a chance to escape. During first part, she pretended to see and get caught in an ambush, sending one of the search parties running. Heather had Windshear shoot a spine at Ruffnut's head, so she could get free and take Windshear to get backup. Though while doing this, Ruffnut head butted her.
When Hiccup and the others showed up, Heather used her horn to call Windshear back.
During another attack by Hiccup's Riders, Ryker begins to question Heather's loyalty. During the raid, she has Windshear fire at Snotlout and the twins to make the fight believable. She even had Windshear take a spike from Stormfly. When Ryker confronted her, Dagur defended her, much to Heather's surprise. Then one of the Hunters gave a message to Ryker about regrouping with Viggo. Heather asked Dagur what he knew about the Dragon Hunter leader, telling her he was very clever and that everyone was afraid of him, even his own brother. When Dagur joked about having family conflict, this made Heather slightly nervous.
When Heather, Dagur, and Ryker met Viggo in his tent, the leader began to talk about a game called Maces and Talons, using it as an example about trust and trickery. During this moment, one of the Hunters was brought in for taking some goods. Surprisingly, Viggo spared the man, and sent the others off to get some rest, except Heather. He told her about his knowledge of a traitor, questioning if it was Dagur or Ryker. He then told Heather of his plan to capture a Flightmare.<
Heather later met up with Astrid and Hiccup about the plan. She gave them a map that she used to track the Mystery Class dragon, also telling them it was going to be just her, Windshear, and Viggo. The three planned an ambush to take out Viggo for good. However, when Heather and Viggo arrived to the island, she discovered Viggo already knew she was the traitor, and sent his fleet to the island. After fighting off several Hunters, Heather and Windshear joined the Dragon Riders. But when the Flightmare was captured, she tried to save it. This led to her and Windshear being caught as well.
Later, Heather tried to reason with Dagur into letting her go, since they were family. Though Dagur refused, even argued about how she tried to kill him before. Heather explains she didn't know they were siblings at the time, and that he also had wiped out her village. While this does cause Dagur to think for a moment, he still locks her up.
After a conversation with Ryker, Dagur leads Heather, along with two guards into a cave, then knocks the Hunters out. He then frees Heather and reunites her with Windshear. The two do not speak, as Dagur walks off. Heather then helps Hiccup and Astrid redirect the Flightmare away from the island. However, she and Windshear disappear afterwards without a word.
The other Riders eventually found out that she had been keeping in touch with Fishlegs via Terrible Terror air mail. After reading her letters and considering all she had done for them against the Hunters, they came up with the idea of Heather becoming an official Dragon Rider.
Heather then returned to the Edge. There, She and Fishlegs became closer. While getting settled in, she and Astrid discussed her disappearance. Heather said she felt terrible about doing that to them, but she needed time to figure things out, mostly about Dagur. The girls soon changed the subject to their potential love interest, with Heather encouraging Astrid to express her true feelings for Hiccup, but her friend retaliated by teasing her about her exchange of letters with Fishlegs.
Heather later made dinner for the others, but was soon interupted by a Deadly Nadder migration that the Riders had been reherding away from Dragon Hunter territory. Hiccup asked for Heather's help, but she declined, saying Windshear was still tired from the trip. Fishlegs stayed behind with her and gave her a tour of the Edge, even a spot for her own hut. However, Meatlug and Windshear got into a fight, with their Riders trying to calm them down. Tuffnut assumed Meatlug was jealous, but Heather believed it might have something to do with Windshear. Another flock of Nadders began to make their way, and Hiccup requested Heather's help again. While she was relectant, she accepted.
Soon after, Windshear begain to attack the Nadders, and even the twins and their dragon. Hather took Windshear back to Dragon's Edge to figure out what was wrong with her. When Hiccup went to check on them, he told Heather about joining the Dragon Riders and offered to help get Windshear more adjusted to working with other dragons. The training started well, but soon Winshear knocked Hiccup off of Toothless. Fearing Windshear might hurt someone, Heather decided to leave.
Fishlegs stopped Heather before she could go, trying to convince her to stay. He soon realized the Razorwhip was only protecting Heather, giving him an idea. The two soon joined the other Riders who were fighting off a small band of Hunters, by swtiching dragons.
Afterwards, Heather decided to stay with the Dragon Riders, now that Windshear felt she could trust the other dragons. The joyful moment was soon spoiled when Hiccup received a letter from Dagur asking for their help in finding his sister. Clearly not ready to see him, Hiccup assured Heather they would make sure Dagur wouldn't find her.
Heather quickly became an asset to the team. When Hiccup and Toothless were captured by the Hunters, she used her knowledge of the Hunter ports to find them. She helped free them, along with the other dragons that had been captured.
When the Riders took in a baby Death Song named Garffiiljorg, Heather showed sympathy for the dragon instead of being annoyed by its cries like the others. She refused to abandon him, knowing what it was like to be alone. She sang to Garff, which lulled him to sleep. This gave her and Hiccup the idea to sing to Garff to train him. This did not work out as planned, so the Riders decided to take Garff to Melody Island, hoping her would bond with the Death Song they have encountered previously. They were soon trapped by the Mystery Class dragon, who also reject Garff since he was singing the songs the Riders taught him. After trying to find another song the Death Song would like, he bonded with Garff. Heather encouraged him to go off with his new family.
Heather, Astrid, and Snotlout followed Viggo's ships to find out what he wanted with a large supply of marble bricks. They soon discovered Viggo was using them to make a dragon proof fortress on his island. With it nearly complete, they raced back to warn Hiccup and the others. Fortunately, they had rescued two Catastrophic Quakens, which were used to mine the marble, and had them destroy the base.
One night, Hiccup brought up Dagur at dinner, and asked the others about the possibility that he had changed. Heather quickly shrugged this off, and even threatened to split Dagur in two if she saw him again. Hiccup sent her and Snotlout out to scout Viggo's fleet for a mission to destroy it, to prevent Heather knowing Dagur was actually on Dragon's Edge. When they got back, Heather saw Dagur and immediately thrusted her axe at him, but stopped just inches away, though she did punched him. Heather berated Hiccup for teaching Dagur to ride a dragon. Hiccup tries to explain how Dagur had saved him and Toothless, but Heather stilled believed that he was working for Viggo. She even told the others it was Dagur's fault she was separated from her family, and her anger at him for killing their father. As Dagur leaves, he finds Hiccup's display for Viggo's fleet and tries to warn them it's a trap. At this point, no one believed him and he agreed to be locked up. The next day, Dagur broke out with his new dragon Shattermaster and headed toward the armada. Heather tried to knock him out of the sky, but he managed to subdue Windshear long enough to prove it was a trap, and took on the entire fleet himself, but cost him his life. While the other Riders were mournful of Dagur's death, Heather did not share their grief, believing her brother thought he could make it out alive. Hiccup comments that he never heard Heather call Dagur "brother" before, which causes her to head back to her hut. Once there, she found a note from Dagur, in which he apologized for everything he had done. He also told Heather about Viggo's dragon auctions. The note also reveals that Dagur didn't kill their father, but that he actually went missing. Heather begins to cry, finally forgiving Dagur, and mourns his death.
Heather and the other riders then infiltrated Viggo's Dragon Auction. However, they were briefly captured by the Dragon Hunters. They were then saved and freed by Grump. They were then able to free all the dragons, although the victory cost them all of Berk's gold.
After another mission of rescuing dragons, Heather helped Astrid who had been shot in the leg, and did not hesitate to tell Hiccup about it. When the Riders received a message from Viggo to meet him on a far away island. While the others thought it was a trap, Heather and Hiccup knew that wasn't his style, as he liked to outsmart his opponents. She joined Astrid and Hiccup for the meeting, with the girls circling above while Hiccup spoke to Viggo. She, along with the others, was shocked by the proposal of a truce, but Hiccup could tell that was not what the Hunter chief wanted, but believed he was trying to keep them away from something. The group headed to the island nearest to the border on Viggo's side of the map to check it out. They were soon ambushed by a tribe called the Defenders of the Wing who believed they were Dragon Hunters. While a difficult effort to prove their innocence, Hiccup managed to convince their queen Mala they were not Hunters and she released them after seeing how their dragons protected them. However, the moment of peace soon was interrupted when they realized the Defenders Great Protector, the Eruptodon, had been taken by the Dragon Hunters. Heather and the other riders were then sentenced to death, back to the belief they were working for Viggo.
Heather appears in the School of Dragons as the alchemist. Before the game was released, she was replaced with Katrina the Curious. Heather replaced her a few months later, but still wears the same outfit as Katrina.
Heather helps out with experiments and understanding how things work.
Call of the Death Song
In the Call of the Death Song expansion pack, she also wears her rogue dragon rider clothing, with the only difference being her hair is visible. She helps the player throughout the game, but does not reveal her identity. Eventually, the player learns her secret after finding the broken glass bombs the rider used outside the Lab. Heather reveals she kept the secret from the others to protect them from Dagur, as he attacked her village and family. Heather asks to keep her identity from the others a little longer, to keep them safe.
At the end of the last quest in the second expansion pack, Heather is seen in her dragon rider attire, without her hood and mask.
Battle for the Edge
Heather joins in on the fight against the Dragon Hunters, with the Dragon Riders now aware of her identity. She first requires the player's help when she lost her book on Glacier Island. After retrieving the book, the Snow Wraith's camouflage gives her an idea about hiding the catapults on Dragon's Edge. She also helped in figuring out that iron is the best choice of metal for the Armorwing, due to its magnetic skin.
When Harald Forkbeard proves to be a traitor, Heather, who has encountered him in the past, creates wanted posters of him to put around the school, Berk, and Dragon's Edge so he can't fool people again.
Heather arrives on Dragon's Edge to help face the Dragons Hunters. In the aftermath, while she is happy they won, she is concerned about what might have happened if she hadn't shown up when she did.
Return to Dragon Island
Heather's role is not as big as in the last two expansion packs. She helps figure out what the mysterious fog around Dragon Island is made of, and finds a way to protect the player from falling victim to its toxicity.
Heather has green eyes and long black hair that frames her face with her bangs parted on the right side and a braid placed over her left shoulder. She also seems to wear some form of eye liner in the first season.
In Dragons: Riders of Berk, Heather wears a light gray shirt that goes halfway down her forearms with a leather vest over it, a hollow horn around her waist and an off-white skirt underneath. She wears brown pants, wristbands, and boots with roping. All of her clothing has patches.
On School of Dragons, Heather wears a long white, sleeveless tunic, similar to a lab coat, with round, metal shoulder pads. Around her waist is a yellow belt with small pouches on the sides. She wears a light brown, long sleeve shirt underneath, brown bracers, green pants, and brown fur boots. Heather also has a pair of goggles on her head and carries a long magnifying glass.
Heather's appearance has a drastic change in Race to the Edge. She now wears a black, short sleeved hooded shirt, and a brown mask to hide her identity. She also has a brown leather vest, dark gray pants, and brown boots. She has three black belts, as well as one that holds her horn and a lens for the Dragon Eye. Heather has metallic-like shoulder guards, bracers, knee pads, and skirt, all from the scales from Windshear. Heather still wears her hair in the same style as before but it is noticeably longer. She no longer wears eye liner.
Heather also possesses a satchel similar to the ones the other riders use, except it is black in color and has no crest on it.
Heather is quite intelligent, and able to think her way out of trouble. She is a kind person, willing to risk her life to save the ones she cares about.
Heather also appears to value trust, even with her enemies. This trait made it easy for her to work with the dragons. However, she herself has a hard time putting trust in others and is deceptive by nature, prone to keeping secrets and lying to people that proved to be worthy of her trust. While not easy for her, she is willing to abuse the trust of her friends and hurt them (emotionally at least) to further whatever agenda she has, which often ended up putting the Riders in danger. She could also go as far as to put innocent people she didn't know in danger, seen when she tried to deliver the Book of Dragons to the Outcasts (who would have undoubtedly tried to use trained dragons to destroy Berk), even though she did it to save her adoptive parents.
She seems to take pride in her abilities with deception, maybe even to the point of hubris. She gloated to Astrid about how she was able to win the favor of her male friends and her own dragon, Stormfly. However, she might have done it to merely keep up appearances.
After losing her adoptive family, she had an even harder time letting people in, usually trying to do things on her own. This causes Heather to make the wrong choices, even if is for the right reasons. This shows that the loss of her family unhinged her a little bit. She had even persuaded Astrid to lie to Hiccup, which the Berkian had never done before.
In spite of all her faults, she has a strong moral drive. She has become a vigilante for justice and strengthened herself as a warrior. She even returns stolen loot from pirates to their rightful owners. The main reason she hadn't wanted the Riders to join her mission was to keep them safe.
Heather is very observant, thus very knowledgeable. She asks Astrid if she and Hiccup are together when she notices how close they are.
She is also somewhat spiteful and prone to holding grudges against people, like her brother. Nevertheless, she was able to overcome it in the end.
While at first Heather was quite nervous around dragons, her time on Berk, and after meeting Windshear, she has developed a love for them. Heather is shown to taking an interesting in learning about dragons, such as tracking the Flightmare. She has become determined to protect species, as such she wanted to take down the Dragon Hunters for good.
She has also showed a motherly side, as when she sang to the baby Death Song and calmed him, refusing to let the riders just abandon him, knowing what it was like to be alone. She also would not stop until the adult Death Song adopted the hatchling.
Abilities, Skills & Talents
- Acting: Heather is a very good actress, as she was able to fool the Dragon Riders for a few days, except Astrid, who saw her sneaking around. These skills are used again when infiltrating the Dragon Hunters. Only Viggo was able to figure her out.
- Strength and Fighting Skills: Heather is pretty tough and is able to take on Astrid, as well as able to scale the walls in Berk's prison, and stay at the top for some time. Heather became much stronger after her village was attacked. She is capable of taking on at least three dragon hunters at once. Heather's weapon is a double axe that is able to fold at the end. She prefers close combat, so she can stare her enemies in the eye.
- Dragon Training and Riding: Even with very little time spent on Berk, Heather picked up on dragon training pretty quickly, as all the dragons have taken a liking to her. Even though she wasn't very fast, she was also capable of flying with Stormfly. Her skills have improved by Race to the Edge, with her training her own dragon, Windshear.
- Alchemy: As the Alchemist in School of Dragons, Heather has extensive knowledge with experimenting. It is unknown if she has this skill in the series; however, she also appears to be well-versed in medicine, as she was able to treat Windshear's wounds.
- Intelligence and Builder: She is shown to be pretty clever to come up with a great lie to fool everyone. She even came up with ideas to escape from prison. In School of Dragons, she loves to experiment and figure things out. Heather seems a bit inventive, as she was able to help Hiccup increase Toothless' speed with a shorter connecting rod. She also made her own battle axe. She was able to create her own armor from Windshear's scales. She most likely built Windshear's saddle as well.
- Berserk: When she was younger, Heather didn't display any tendencies. These traits began to appear after Dagur's attack. She seemed to enjoy fighting more than before. This and the loss of her family have also made Heather a bit unstable, though not dangerously so. Heather admitted to Astrid she was afraid that she had the same Berserker insanity as her brother, but Astrid assured her she was nothing like Dagur.
- Cooking: Heather is revealed to be an excellent cook. Tuffnut, himself, cannot get enough of her yak-chops. She appears to have taken over preparing meals for the gang.
- Singing: Heather is an excellent singer. She was the only one Garff did not blast with amber.
- "Heather if you're reading this, I guess that's bad news for me. Sorry, but I couldn't let Hiccup fly you into a trap. Tell our little brother that if he really wants to hurt Viggo, hit his next dragon auction. It moves around, but if he turns over enough rocks, some worm will tell him where it is. One other thing, I didn't kill our father. When he disappeared, I let people believe that, so they would think I was tough enough to be chief. I did a lot of things I am sorry for, but I couldn't rest in peace knowing you thought I did that. Be Safe. Your brother, Dagur."
- ―Dagur's letter to Heather.[src]
Dagur is Heather's older brother but while Dagur respects her, Heather hates him and wanted to kill him to avenge her adoptive parents (who Dagur killed), unaware of their relations. But she stopped trying after she learned that he was actually her brother. While Dagur did offer her to join him, she refused, and she is still holding a grudge against him.
Heather later did join Dagur, though only to avenge her family. However, the more time they spent together, Heather did begin to form a relationship with her brother. When Viggo found out she was a spy and had Dagur lock her up, Heather tried to reason with Dagur, though he didn't listen at first. However, Dagur did free her and reunited her with Windshear.
Despite being saved by Dagur, Heather still hated him. She believed him to be the source of all her misery, not just for destroying her island, but setting her adrift and killing their father. When she saw Dagur again, her first instincts were to attack him. Dagur, on the other hand, really grew to care for Heather and wanted to make amends. He ended up sacrificing himself to protect Heather.
Shortly after his death, Heather found a letter from him on her bed in which Dagur confessed he never killed their father. Heather started crying after she finished reading it, finally forgiving her brother.
Heather and Windshear have an unbreakable bond. Having both experienced, and risen above, tragedy.
Heather found Windshear after she was attacked by a Typhoomerang. Using what she learned from the Dragon Riders, she was able to treat and train her. The two soon became an unstoppable team. Heather even used some of Windshear's barbs to style her new outfit. Heather happily told the Riders about her dragon, quite proud of her abilities.
While Heather demonstrated a single-minded focus to kill Dagur, Hiccup managed to convince her otherwise as Windshear was also put at risk, showing how much she cares for her dragon. She also takes into account Windshear when Heather picked out her campsite, choosing an island with a large amount of sea slugs, Windshear's favorite.
While Heather loved being among the Riders and on Dragon's Edge, she would not choose them over her dragon when Windshear was being aggressive towards their dragons. Though thanks to Fishlegs, she didn't have to make that choice in the end.
Heather cares very deeply about her parents and would do whatever it took to save them from Alvin. It is revealed that they are not her biological parents, but she still loved them. Losing them and her village became her motivation to attack Dagur.
Even after all the Heather and Dagur had been through while she was with the Dragon Hunters, she still hadn't quite forgiven him about destroying her island until his apparent death.
- "Whatever you think, I'm all yours."
- ―Heather to Fishlegs[src]
Fishlegs is Heather's boyfriend in season three of Race to the Edge. He is the reason Heather decides to join the dragon riders and stay with them on Dragon's Edge.
When they first met on Riders of Berk, Fishlegs took a quick liking to Heather and even showed her the Book of Dragons. Heather did appear to show more praise towards him that the other boys at the time. By the time they meet again nearly three years later, Heather starts to return Fishlegs affection. They both express romantic interest in one another on several occasions. Heather smiled warmly at him and shyly tucked her hair behind her ear when Fishlegs offered to help her. During her talk with Astrid, Heather confessed she likes Fishlegs and referred to him as cute and funny.
Fishlegs is the only one Heather stayed in touch with after she flew off at the end of Vigo affair. She and Fishlegs sent one another letters through airmail every day, and he ended up saving them all in a chest in his hut. Fishlegs kept this a secret from the rest of the gang until To Heather or Not to Heather.
After Heather arrived on the edge, she and Fishlegs didn't hide their feelings for each other. Heather initially wanted to leave again because of Windshear's inability to cooperate with other dragons, but Fishlegs figured out a way to integrate Windshear and thus making it possible for Heather to stay with him. By the end of this episode, Fishlegs and Heather end up becoming a couple, much to Snotlout's dismay.
Fishlegs is also the one who picked out the perfect place for Heather to build her hut.
- "Heather, you are nothing like Dagur."
Astrid is Heather's closest friend, though the two did not start out that way. Astrid was the only one who saw through Heather's ruse. Even when confronted, Heather simply mocked Astrid since no one believed her. She went even further after she stole Stormfly and the Book of Dragons. The two physically fought each other on the dragon's back. After she was captured, Heather admits the truth to Astrid, though she didn't believe her, and neither did the other riders. After escaping and riding Stormfly to Outcast Island, the two apologized to each other. When Astrid fell off Stormfly, Heather appeared to be concerned. The two finally make amends back on Berk as Heather thanks Astrid for risking her life to help Heather's parents.
Heather was happy to see Astrid again, and the two got along very well. They spent a lot of time bonding and worked together as a team when they raided Dagur's ship. Heather also teased Astrid about her closeness with Hiccup, insinuating Hiccup and Astrid are more than friends. Although Astrid repeatedly denied it, Heather still did not seem convinced. After their encounter with Johann, Heather gathered the other riders to accompany her in the attack against Dagur's fleet. She was initially hurt when Astrid expressed her hesitation and made Astrid feel guilty for it. Before she left, Heather thanked Astrid, saying it was great having a friend again.
Since then, Astrid had become Heather's closest friend and greatest ally. Night of the Hunters, Part 2, confided in her about her plan to infiltrate the Dragon Hunters, while Astrid in return promised to keep Heather's involvement a secret. In Snow Way Out they met up again in secret so she could inform Astrid and the riders of Ryker's plan to capture a Snow Wraith. Astrid ended up confiding in Heather about her guilt of lying to Hiccup. Heather reassured Astrid and told her to trust her.
The two happily reunited in To Heather or Not to Heather, and Astrid let her stay in her hut for the time being. The two began to talk about Heather's disappearance and struggles, before she changed the subject about Hiccup, encouraging Astrid to act on her feelings for him.
When Heather officially joined the Riders, she and Astrid usually worked together on missions.
- "Look, Heather, you're one of us now. A Dragon Rider. If you're not ready to be found, we'll make sure you won't be."
Hiccup welcomed Heather when she arrived on Berk, even telling her to consider the island her home until they could figure things out for her. Unlike the other boys, Heather didn't flirt with Hiccup, but acted more innocent. She also helped him with increasing Toothless' speed. Hiccup naively believed Heather over Astrid when she tried to warn him that the newcomer was not who she seemed. Hiccup finally believed Astrid when she told him that Heather stole Stormfly and the Book of Dragons, which he was just looking for. After working things out with the Dragon Riders, Heather promised Hiccup and Astrid if she needed help she would ask.
When they met up again, Hiccup was surprised by how much Heather had changed. When Hiccup question why she attacked the ship from earlier and told her the others were there for her, she changed the subject by thanking him for his concern. After saving her from being captured by Dagur, Heather revealed how she was separated from her birth family.
Heather insisted Astrid not to tell Hiccup about her being a spy, as he cares too much about others and would try to pull her out if he knew the truth. When one of the hunters was about to shoot Hiccup, Heather had Windshear knock over another with her tail, revealing the trap.
Hiccup supports Heather's relationship with Fishlegs, and is happy to have her join them on the Edge. He even tried to help her train Windshear. Hiccup also took Heather's wish to keep Dagur at distance into consideration, and in Family on the Edge attempted to keep her presence on the Edge a secret from Dagur.
Hiccup is referred to as Dagur and Heather's little brother by Dagur in his last letter to Heather. This hints that Heather is actually older than Hiccup.
Heather was a little more flirtatious with Snotlout than the others, most likely because he flirted with her. She did thank him for "saving" her, but was more interested in learning about Hookfang. When Heather left Berk, Snotlout told her to write to him, but she just smiled and shook her head. After meeting up again, Snotlout continued to flirt with Heather, only this time she had no problem pushing him aside. When demonstrating Windshear's abilities, she used them on Snotlout, though not directly.
Heather later tells Astrid she doesn't like macho Vikings.
While learning about the Hideous Zippleback, Heather worked with Tuffnut. When he suggested getting rid of his sister so they could share Barf and Belch, Heather preferred to focus on the dragon. Tuffnut actually questioned why the Riders were friends with Heather after she nearly attacked them, locked up their dragons, and snuck away. Though the sincerity of her apology got the better of him.
In Have Dragon Will Travel, Part 2, Ruff was very impressed by Windshear, complimenting Heather at an uncomfortably close range. In Edge of Disaster, Part 2, Heather helped Ruffnut and loaned Windshear to her so she could escape. Though later when she got her dragon back, Heather punched Ruffnut for head butting her earlier.
Johann is Heather's informant. He gives her the information she needs to find pirates that have raided other tribes, and Dagur as well.
Johann does appear to care about Heather, not just as a partner, but as a friend. When the Terrible Terror letter he sent to her returned, and saw her camp was abandoned, he feared the worst, but was relieved that Heather was alright.
Stormfly and Academy Dragons
Heather quickly bonded with Stormfly after she gave the Nadder some chicken. However, she had no experience riding dragons and couldn't control her. When Heather tried to ride her again, Stormfly was unsure at first until Heather mentioned finding Astrid. Even years later, Heather remembered how much Stormfly loved chicken.
Toothless was the first of the dragons she met, and was initially scared of him, but soon grew to like him. When Dagur approached her, Toothless defended Heather, keeping the Berserker chief away from her.
The other dragons also took a quick liking to Heather. Barf let her sit on him and Hookfang seemed pleased when she pet him. Meatlug seemed to happy to be call cute and thinking she was strong dragon from her tail.
Savage was Heather's contact when she was forced to work with the Outcasts. She told him about the Book of Dragons, and begged for more time to get it.
When Heather joined Dagur, she was occasionally seen with Savage as well. He followed her orders like he does with Dagur.
Alvin the Treacherous and the Outcast Tribe
While Heather did work for the Outcasts for a short time, it was only because Alvin threatened her parents unless she found out Berk's dragon secrets. She told Savage that they had a book on controlling dragons and begged for more time. While she managed to deliver the book, she was captured by the Dragon Riders. Heather later joined the riders in fighting the Outcasts.
Ryker and Viggo Grimborn
Ryker did not trust Heather, since she rode a dragon, but still kept her around. Even though Heather was not on Ryker's side, she still followed his orders. When Ryker suspected her for treason, she stood up for herself, and so did Dagur.
Heather planned to lure Viggo out to stop the Dragon Hunters. When she first met Viggo, he talked about fooling people, using the game Maces and Talons as an example. When Viggo told Heather he believed that Dagur, or even Ryker, were responsible for the failed plans, Heather told Hiccup and Astrid about his plan to capture a Flightmare, unaware he already knew she was the traitor.
When she joined Hiccup and Astrid for the meeting with Viggo, she was up for taking him out there since he didn't have his men.
- Heather has many differences from the other teens.
- Unlike Ruffnut and Astrid, Heather does not have blonde hair and blue eyes. She also doesn't wear anything blue.
- She and Hiccup are the only ones who have sleeves.
- Heather wears no fur or metal, except her boots in School of Dragons. However, this may be due to the limited animation or the series, though her clothes do not resemble anything that could be fur based.
- Heather's armor is made out of Windshear's scales, so not technically metal.
- Heather is the first adoptive child in the franchise.
- Due to the large amount of patches on her clothes, it is possible Heather comes from a poor island. She is the only character with patched and torn clothing that is not a villain.
- A piece of Heather's concept art is seen at in the end credits of Riders of Berk from Heather Report Part I to We Are Family, Part 2.
- Heather is the only female Berserker ever seen.
- Heather is the only original character who did not return in Defenders of Berk.
- Heather and Eret, from How to Train Your Dragon 2, shares some similarities as both characters worked for either the Outcasts or Drago's Army respectively when they met the Dragon Riders. But their allegiance to the antagonists was not out of loyalty and both characters would join the Riders in defeating the respective antagonists. Coincidentally enough, both have black hair and are the only Dragon Riders not from Berk. Although Dagur was briefly a rider before his death.
- In School of Dragons, she narrates the Skrill's bio at the Hatchery, instead of Gobber like the other dragons. She also says she would like to test how strong its electricity is. This could be a hint about her origins.
- In the franchise timeline order, Heather is the first dragon rider not originally from Berk.
- Heather's shoulder guards are similar to the ones Dagur used to wear.
- Heather's return is similar to Valka's in How to Train Your Dragon 2:
- Both are masked vigilantes attacking raiders.
- Both of their dragons are in the Sharp Class.
- Heather and Astrid have a lot in common by Race to the Edge.
- Their dragons are in the Sharp Class, before the Deadly Nadder's reclassification. They also both have specific favored food.
- They are the only female dragon riders that have the same gender as their dragons.
- They both wear shoulder guards.
- Their weapon of choice is an axe and are able to hold their own in battle.
- Have experienced a loss that motivated them (Heather lost her adoptive parents, Astrid lost her uncle).
- Heather has a similar hairstyle to Astrid in How to Train Your Dragon 2
- Heather also has some similarities to Hiccup by the sequel.
- Both have green eyes.
- Their fathers were both chieftains of their tribes.
- Both trained their dragons after they suffered injuries.
- Have been separated from family members at a young age, who they later reunite with.
- Each possess a momentum from one of their parents (her horn and Hiccup's toy).
- Heather is similar to Fishlegs' book counterpart. Both were separated from their birth familes, have an accessory from their parents, and have some relation to being Berserk (Heather is originally from the Berserker Tribe and Fishlegs is a Berserk from his mother's side). Both also have a family member who is one of Berk's greatest enemies.
- Heather is the third character in the franchise to have a look inspired by their own dragon. The first was Hiccup, and the Second was Valka. Out of the three, Heather is the only one to use actual scales from her dragon.
- Even though her dragon rider avatar is aged up in School of Dragons, her alchemist one is not.
- According to an interview with Dean DeBlois and Richard Hamilton, there is a chance that Heather might appear in their graphic novels, which take place after the second film. 
- Heather is the first major character outside the movies that isn't a villain, and the first female character that wasn't written by director Dean DeBlois.
Dragons: Riders of Berk
- "My family and I were on our way home to our island when our boat was attacked by pirates."
- "They attacked our boat and took us back to our island, laying siege to it. I was able to escape, but my mother and father, they weren't so lucky."
- "So this is it? Your dragon training academy."
- "(after blasting a boat) What do we do now?!"
- "Take as much time as you need!"
- "(to Astrid) You really like to sneak up on people."
- "You're way too smart for that Astrid."
- "I think your dragon likes me. See you later, Stormfly."
- "You don't understand! Alvin has my parents!"
- "There were never any pirates. I made it up. But I had to. I needed you to trust me!"
- "Sorry Bucket, but I have to get to Outcast Island. And nothing's going to stop me."
- "OK, never startle a sleeping Nadder."
- "It's OK. I wouldn't have believed me either."
- "I can't thank you enough, especially you, Astrid. You put your life on the line for us. I'll never forget that."
- "(Hiccup tells her if she needs help again she'll ask) I will. I promise."
Dragons: Race to the Edge
- "I wouldn't either."
- "Look, I've been living on my own out here for years, and I have made more than a few enemies."
- "Remember, girl, we're doing this for my mom and dad. For our whole village!"
- "I want my face to be the last thing Dagur ever sees!"
- "I'm willing to do whatever it takes."
- "Seems I'm destined to be alone."
- "I remember my father's hands. They were rough, like sandstone, but so gentle."
- "Look, I'm sorry I locked up your dragons. I just didn't trust you guys would let me go after Dagur."
- "Come on. I've seen the way you two are together."
- "And if you need a warrior to take care of that dastardly Berserker, I'm your girl."
- "Looks like it's just you and me, Windshear. As usual."
- "Sorry, Astrid. I changed my mind. Dagur didn't capture my village, so this ends here!"
- "Stoick's seal is carved in my horn? What are you saying?"
- "I know. I just have a lot I need to figure out."
- "Thanks Astrid. It was nice having a friend again."
- "Hey, family is family."
- "Enjoy your new home, Astrid. You're going to be here awhile."
- "And I thank you for all of that, but I have to follow my destiny."
- "I was protecting you, brother. From what you told me about him, I doubt Viggo takes kindly to losing valuable property. If anything happens to the Riders, let Ryker be on the hook for it. Not you."
- "Well, Ryker doesn't trust anyone and Dagur's paranoid, but so far I think I'm okay."
- "Astrid, if we told Hiccup I was spying on the hunters, we both know he would try to pull me out of there."
- "She's a dragon covered in spikes, walking on ice. She's going to make noise."
- "How many times do Dagur and I have to tell you that Hiccup is more valuable to us alive than dead?!"
- "Hope you're holding the fort, guys."
- "Sorry, Windshear, but this has to look real."
- "Look, it's me, Viggo, and Windshear. The perfect time for an ambush."
- "You set this whole thing up!"
- "I'm so sorry, Hiccup! Viggo, he made me—!"
- "Dagur, we come from a proud and historic tribe of Vikings; Berserkers! We don't turn on each other! We stand for each other! How can you just ignore that?"
- "I didn't know you were my brother at the time! And, if you remember, you destroyed my entire island!"
- "It was weird. All that time with Dagur, we were just playing a part. I didn't have a moment to think about that he is actually my brother."
- "Astrid, life is too short. You need to express your feelings. Stop wasting time. You two are perfect."
- "He set me adrift as a child! He killed our father, for Thor's sake! He tried to kill each of us multiple times!"
- "Hey, I'm Heather."
- "It's nice to be back with my Berk friends."
- "I think your dragon likes me."
- "What should my next experiment be?"
- "I think of learning as an adventure in knowledge."
- "Whew, I nearly singed my eyebrows off in the lab. Make sure you're really safe when doing your experiments."
- "Keep your cool and you can get out of any situation, with a little help from your friends."
- "Astrid was pretty convincing when she pretended to be me. I should dress up like her one day!"
- "They say a Skrill lets electricity out of its body at all times. I wish I could test exactly how strong it is!"
*lines shared with Katrina