Traits and Abilities
Monstrous Nightmares are styled rather devilishly, with two curved horns on their heads, and physically resemble a western-style dragon. They have excellent senses - eyesight, smell, and hearing. This makes them excellent hunters. They vary in size, but can be the largest of the hunting dragons. They are rated as Size 3 in The Complete Book of Dragons, places them in the same size category as small Riding Dragons such as the Chickenpoxer or Zebramount. They are intelligent and can speak Dragonese, as well as be rather devious.
To note: The Incomplete Book of Dragons and the "Viking Dragons and Their Eggs" Info Page in How to Train Your Dragon give different stat numbers.
By unofficial Viking law, only the chief, or the son of the chief, can own one. Despite this, Snotface Snotlout, the nephew of the chief, acquires one named Fireworm, while Thuggory the son's chief from the Meathead Tribe owns another named "Killer".
Another unnamed Monstrous Nightmare appears very briefly, actually acting heroically.
- "One hunting dragon went down in a blaze of flames, a Monstrous Nightmare belonging to Very Vicious the Visithug that sank its teeth into the neck of a much larger Grimwing, which then grabbed it around the throat, and snapping, biting, and screaming down they went, doomed, into the Gorge in a somersaulting ball of fire."
- ―How to Steal a Dragon's Sword
- How to Train Your Dragon (Book 1), Cressida Cowell. 2003
- How to Steal a Dragon's Sword (Book 9), Cressida Cowell. 2011
- The Complete Book of Dragons: A Guide To Dragon Species, Cressida Cowell. 2014
- How to Fight a Dragon's Fury (Book 12), Cressida Cowell. 2015
- How to Train Your Dragon - Website