Odin or Woden is a Norse god to the Vikings. He’s also the ruler of the Aesir Deities and their home world Asguard. Odin is usually asocciated with wisdom, knowledge and poetry. Throughout the franchise and the books, he’s never made a physical appearance but has been mentioned by many characters on many occasions.
Odin’s name has been used in exclamations often in the Book series and occasionally in the Franchise.
|“||And WHAT in the name of Woden, demanded Gobber, blanching a little, is THIS?||”|
|— Book 1|
Odin (or Woden) is one of the most important and influential Gods throughout Norse Mythology. He is the leader of the Aesir Gods and their home world, Asguard, making him one of the most important figures throughout the Norse Mythology.
He would regularly quest for wisdom and knowledge, and has been known to make sacrifices in his quest for it. Once, he sacrificed one of his eyes in order to gain great knowledge about life itself.
As well as being knowledgeable and wise, he was also a War-God and in ways a God of Death. He was the leader of Valhalla, an after world which would bring the finest and most courageous warriors to its Great Hall in preparation of Ragnarok. He also had two Ravens, Hunginn and Muninn who would travel around the ‘world’ and tell Odin information of what’s happening. Because of this, he was known as the Raven God.
|“||Odin help us . . . [src]||”|
|— Stoick upon seeing Red Death|
|“||Odin, it was rough, I almost gave up on you, and all the while you were holding out on me . . . [src]||”|
|— Stoick the Vast|
|“||By Odin's beard, Gobber . . . [src]||”|
|“||Faster than Odin on his eight-legged horse. [src]||”|
|— Thor Bonecrusher|
|“||Odin's eye - it's a secret message! [src]||”|
- Fishlegs thinks misfortune can be brought upon someone if they use Odin's name in vain, as he states in "Out of the Frying Pan".
- It is known that Odin could possibly have a beard because of the phrase "By Odin's beard."
- Odin has an island named after him, Odin's Respite.
- Woden has a sea named after him, Woden's Bathtub.
- It is also stated that Odin has a eight-legged horse named Slepnir.
- Odin has two Ravens, Huginn and Muninn. Their names meant Thought and Memory.
- Contrary to popular belief, Odin is not the father of Thor. This is only relative to Marvel Comics.
- It is possible that Freya is Odin’s wife, but there is conflicting evidence.
|Norse Gods from How to Train Your Dragon|
|Freya • Heimdall • Loki • Magni • Mitras • Odin • Snotra • Thor|