Rageblasts are a species of dragon that are mentioned in the Dragon Key at the back of The Complete Book of Dragons, once each in How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel and How to Fight a Dragon's Fury, and on the Dragon species info page (seen at right).
The Rageblast is also referred to as a Triple-Header Rageblast.
While the Rageblast and the Deadly Shadow are definitely intended to be two separate species, the picture at right may not be accurate. There is some contention as to whether this info picture (at right) was actually intended to be for the Deadly Shadow species, as they bear close resemblance in appearance. The coloration of the dragon pictured at right is even rainbow-colored, possibly implying the ability to change color like a chameleon, as the Deadly Shadow can.
Traits and Abilities
According to the Dragon info box, the Rageblast is a multi-headed dragon. The number varies - two and three heads are more common, with four-headed Rageblasts being a rarity. The info box photo also shows this dragon breathes fire. Its coloration is also depicted as being rainbow-hued. This dragon may just be very colorful, or it might imply an ability to change color.
The Complete Book of Dragons corroborates the multi-headed trait of the Rageblast. The book also indicates they have acute eyesight, produce toxic gases, can create lightening bolts or electric shocks (not clear which), and can speak Dragonese.
In Book 12, Rageblasts are shown to be vulnerable to heavy artillery blasts:
- "Even the mighty Rageblasts, or Savagers, or Brainpickers, when hit with those cannonballs, fell shrieking from the sky."
- ―How to Fight a Dragon's Fury
We first see mention of Rageblasts when Furious responds to new that he had failed to capture Hiccup:
- "The dragon Furious howled and plunged through the bay, flinging great boulders around, uprooting any living vegetation he could find, tearing up the airy grasses on the islands that contained no boy, his own Tonguetwisters and Rageblasts of the rebellion whimpering like terriers and trying to stay out of the way."
- ―How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel
Hiccup notes all the fierce dragon species fighting against the humans.
- ↑ The Incomplete Book of Dragons, Cressida Cowell. 2014.
- ↑ How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel (Book 10), Cressida Cowell. 2012.
- ↑ How to Fight a Dragon's Fury (Book 12), Cressida Cowell. 2015.