- Tuffnut: Take that shield, it has a flower on it. Girls like flowers.
- Ruffnut: (brutally hits him on the head with the shield) Oops! Now this one has blood on it.
Ruffnut and Tuffnut Thorston are fraternal twins, teenaged members of the Hairy Hooligans tribe. They are constantly arguing with each other, often to the point of physical violence, though never seriously enough to separate them (sometimes they enjoy it, if only to get some feeling back into a spot that has gone numb). In addition to their nasty tempers, they are both wild, reckless adrenaline junkies, and share an equal disdain for reading and a preference for the same weapon (a double-ended spear) in combat.
In the movie
Joining the same Dragon Training class as Hiccup, at first both twins delight in taunting Hiccup over his poor performance (though neither of them have much success either). Later, however, when Hiccup displays an amazing talent for subduing the dragons, they both become his avid fans (often pushing and shoving each other to be the first to talk to him). Ruffnut, in particular, seems to develop a crush on him and flirts with him (before Astrid pulls her away).
To confront the Red Death, the twins mount a Hideous Zippleback, which fits their fractious relationship, the two naming the dragon Barf and Belch. Each head seems to agree with one of the twins in particular- Ruffnut taking Barf and Tuffnut Belch, and they ride it to great effect in the final battle and afterwards.
Both Ruffnut and Tuffnut are dragon trainers of the Dragon Training Academy. They experienced a brief falling-out in episode 15: "Twinsanity", when their conflict reaches the point where they attempt to issue separate orders to each head, Tuffnut in particular noting that he was tired of the two of them always sharing the same things, but eventually reconciled when Barf and Belch were in trouble, accepting that they would always share their dragon even if they could find other individual interests.
- Tuffnut is a character from the book How to Train Your Dragon.
- Ruffnut is an original character created for the film, seemingly to provide contrast to both Tuffnut and Astrid, the only other female in Dragon Training. Their names may indicate the phrase "Rough and Tough."
- In the video game, it is said that Tuffnut is the older twin but that Ruffnut is slightly taller.
- They appear to be based off of Jackal and Hyena from Gargoyles
- In the film, Tuffnut and Ruffnut were voiced by T.J. Miller and Kristen Wiig, respectively. In the TV series, Ruffnut is voiced by Julie Marcus, while Tuffnut has the same voice actor.
- In the books Tuffnut has the same name as his father (Tuffnut Senior) so his name in the book is Tuffnut Junior.
- Tuffnut: "Your butts are getting bigger. We thought you were a dragon."
- Tuffnut: "I hope I get some serious burns!"
Ruffnut: "I'm hoping for some mauling, like, on my shoulder or lower back."
- Tuffnut: "Wait, you mean, read?"
- Ruffnut: "While we're still alive?"
- Tuffnut: "It's not a tattoo, it's a birth mark!"
- Ruffnut: "Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before."
- Tuffnut: "Yes it was! You've just never seen me from the left side until now."
- Ruffnut: "You're crazy. I like that..."
- Tuffnut: "Oh! I am hurt! I am very much hurt
- Ruffnut: "Whoahwhoawhoa!"
- Ruffnut: "We almost died!"
- Tuffnut: "I know...Go again?"
- Tuffnut: "Ha. It's like the size of my-- Ah, get it off, get it off, get it off!"
- Tuffnut: "Be quiet. Maybe they don't see us."
- Tuffnut: "Ew, if I drink that, I'm gonna yaknog all over the place."
- Tuffnut: "Got it! Help dragons blow things up. We can totally do that."
- Ruffnut: "I'm too pretty for jail!"
- Tuffnut: "Hah, where'd you hear that?"
- Tuffnut: "Harder! I said I want to see stars."
- Tuffnut: "Hey guys! Need a haaaaaaand?"
- Tuffnut: "I....I don't know. Don't rush me. Just, uh...uh. I'll tell you tomorrow!"
- Tuffnut: "I get the rings and the fire parts...but where's the death? I feel cheated."
- Tuffnut: "I know I'm sweating like a dragon in an eel party."
- Tuffnut: "I wanna be a pirate! --- Or a fish cleaner. I'm still on the fence."
"Stupid pirates! I'm definitely gonna be a fish cleaner!"
- Tuffnut: "Look at us, we're on a dragon! We're on dragons, all of us!"
- Tuffnut: "Night patrol! I love it! What is it?"
- Tuffnut: "Nobody blows stuff up like Thor. "
- Tuffnut: "Oh, Astrid's jealous of the pretty one, right? "
- Tuffnut: "Okay. Think, think, think, think, think. Think, think... I forgot what I was thinking about."
- Tuffnut: "Ooh! Rock to the face! Heh, I love a good rock to the face."
- Tuffnut: "Serpents? I hate serpents. Those are reptiles, right?"
- Tuffnut: "Signal! Ugh, darn- I mean, FIRE!"
- Tuffnut: "Somebody hold it still. I wanna pet it!"
- Tuffnut: "Take that one, it has a flower on it. Girls like flowers. "
- Tuffnut: "Usually we hide... until the chief finds us. Then we get in trouble."
- Tuffnt: "What's the smell? Is that you?"
- Tuffnut: "Whatever it was... I want one!"
- Tuffnut: "Ya we got them from Trader Johann. We had to give him our great-grandfather's skull. We got to keep his clavicle."
- Tuffnut: "Yeah, I gave up thinking. Never been happier."
- Tuffnut: "Yeah, it's so over it's under!"
- Tuffnut: "You're right. She's sorry."
- Tuffnut: "Your dragon? Pa-lease. You've been breathing in Barf's gas again."
- Tuffnut: "You were wise to seek help from the world's most deadly weapon. It's me."
- Ruffnut: "I volunteer Tuffnut!"
- Ruffnut: "Let's sacrifice Tuffnut."
- Ruffnut: "Permission to shoot first and ask questions later?"
- Ruffnut: "Yes! We're up to thirty! --- Told you we could count that high."
- Tuffnut: "This is awesome and scary!"
- Tuffnut: "I don't even want to know what part of his body that came from, or do I?"
- Ruffnut: "I can dance, but don't tell anybody!"
- Ruffnut: "Girls Rule!"
- Ruffnut: "Don't you have anything better to do than stand here?"
- Tuffnut: "Yeah, but how hot can the sun really be?" *puts Fireworm dragon on his hand* "Ow!! Ohohohohow!"
- Ruffnut: "Are you sure you like, want to do this?"
Tuffnut: "Of course!
Ruffnut: "Okay. Thank you, Thor!"