|“||Sand Wraiths are known to bury themselves in the sand in order to surprise their prey.||”|
|— School of Dragons|
|“|| A Tidal Class expert in camouflage that buries itself in the sand. It's a good way to surprise their prey . . . and avoid sunburn!|
Fighting a Sand Wraith is no day at the beach . . . not when it can throw a hardened ball of sand from a distance.
|— Dragons: Rise of Berk|
|“|| Have you ever thought about how cool it would be to become camouflage with the ground or the trees, or even the sky?! It’s amazing how that is even possible!|
My fellow SoD administrators and I recently took a fishing trip to get some more food for our hungry dragons. We were all laughing and having a good time, until Bucket took one step and something moved below him. Come to know it was the infamous SAND WRAITH!
Finally, the School of Dragons have found the Sand Wraith and brought them back to campus! The Sand Wraith always caught the attention to most of us here at the School of Dragons but, they are always so hard to find because they camouflage and bury themselves in the sand.
These Tidal class dragon eggs are available to be purchased at Johann’s Trading Post, TODAY! Pick one up and who knows, maybe they will teach you a thing or two about blending in . . .
A new Titan Dragon has burrowed its way to the grounds of the school while searching for safety, and now Vikings can continue along with their training by bonding with their very own Titan Sand Wraith!
Hiccup was the first to catch sight of this Tidal Class Titan when it was discovered, resting on the coast of Impossible Island. Upon first sight, he knew immediately that this was no normal Sand Wraith. Rather, this never-before-seen and intimidating Titan sported sharper and larger teeth, as well as more spikes on its body and wings, and Hiccup could not forget about its larger and sharper claws when he told others of what he had seen. As he told the tale, excitement billowed across campus and now Vikings like you have been seen evolving their Sand in all-new ways!
From what we can tell, this Titan’s appearance is enough to make any Viking turn around and run the opposite way. So do you have the courage to train one of your own? Head to campus and play now!
|— School of Dragons|
The Sand Wraith egg appears to have a smooth, somewhat lustrous appearance to it and is a sandy brown color with darker brown spots on it.
Hatchling to Adult
The Sand Wraith's skin looks like the sand, as it is a bright sandy brown. It has spikes on its head which resembles the Night Fury's nubs and ears on its head. The Sand Wraith also has secondary wings. It also has a unique tail design which consists of 2 arrow-like shapes pointing inwards. Similar in body and wing shape to the Night Fury, this dragon has more spines, along with its head and wings. The spines are thinner and longer, and all considerably sharper. It also has two large 'thumb' claw is wings. Its head is flatter and ends more pointed likely to aid in burying itself. Instead of having sails at the end of their tails, there are thicker spikes. Overall the dragon is covered in brown tones, it's spines fading to a far darker almost blake shade, while its wings sport lighter spotting. In Dragons: Rise of Berk, this dragon has a very straight spine, but in School of Dragons, the spine has a mammalian curvature like a Night Fury's spine.
Titan Wing Sand Wraiths are reddish brown and their wings have a yellow edge with a sophisticated network of vein-like patterns on it. Spikes emerge from the back of their head, their wings, their back and their tail. Also, their tail fin and the second pair of wings are larger. A black band forms over their eyes.
Unlike other dragons, the Sand Wraith has a unique firepower. It shoots hardened balls of sand surrounded by weak fire from a distance.
Speed and Stealth
The Sand Wraiths are very fast, they're also extremely agile and maneuverable, according to School of Dragons.
This dragon is an expert in camouflage and will bury itself in the sand. This is to keep cool and surprise prey from below. This allows it to completely blend in with the sand as it waits for unsuspecting prey or as a way to avoid sunburn.
The Sand Wraith is described as being extremely intelligent according to School of Dragons.
Behaviour and Personality
According to School of Dragons, Sand Wraiths are feisty and like to camouflage under the sand.
According to Rise of Berk, Sand Wraiths burrow through the sand to avoid sunburn, which means their skin is susceptible and might be very sensitive to heat.
This dragon later appeared in School of Dragons. Here it has a slightly more curved and cat-like spine than its original version, and the spikes on the head are spaced more like Night Fury plates rather than evenly spaced.
- The Sand Wraith might be what Fishlegs was referring to when he described a dragon that "buries itself for like a week". He could also be referring to the Sweet Death.
- The Sand Wraith's design and behavior seem partially based on those of the Angel Shark, the Sidewinder Rattlesnake, and the Horned Lizard.
- Sand Wraiths bear a strong resemblance to the Night Fury. Coincidentally, baby Sand Wraiths do not have teeth in Rise of Berk.
- Sand Wraiths and their variations are one of the two Tidal Class dragons in Rise of Berk that are on stone slab platforms instead of pools, the other being the Windwalker.
- Sand Wraith eggs bear a strong resemblance to Petoskey stones.
- The Sand Wraith's ability to hide under the sand is similar to the Monster of the Amber-Slavelands from the books. They are also similar to Sandsharks, another species from the books.
- The Sand Wraith was thought to appear in Race to the Edge, as a writer of the show, Jack C. Thomas revealed that there was going to be a dragon that "Grabs people from under the sand and pulls them down into its lair". This, however, turned out to be a new species, the Sandbuster, instead.
- The Sand Wraith was originally called the Sand Fury, but its name was later changed in order to keep Toothless' and the Light Fury's species unique.
|Sand Wraith uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Dreamworks School of Dragons Wiki page Sand Wraith. The list of authors can be found on the page revision history (view authors).|
|Sand Wraith uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the Rise of Berk Wiki page Sand Wraith. The list of authors can be found on the page revision history (view authors).|