Traits and Abilities
Sidewinders are chameleons, meaning they can change color. These dragons resemble a cat-sized winged snake with blue scales and black stripes. They have eyes all over their bodies, in order to see one of their many predators. Though not much have been seen of their personality, it can be assumed they are very careful and skittish, considering they have many enemies.
The Sidewinder is a pack hunter, that confuse its victims with a hypnotizing dance. Because they are hunted by many other dragons, they have developed extra eyes and camouflage. Not to mention they fly sideways, in order to evade attackers. They also have X-ray vision.
Sidewinder eggs are blue in color, and have a hole in them through which the Sidewinder can see. If a predator approaches, the egg quickly rolls away.
When Hiccup, Fishlegs and Camicazi were captured by the Romans, the trio watched them releasing these pack hunters into the Arena, where they devoured a flock of dye-colored doves. The Sidewinders, however, in turn were eaten by a pack of fearsome Flashfangs. This was part of a Coliseum spectacle for entertainment for the Romans.
- The hypnotizing dance of the Sidewinder may be based on the dance some species of Mustelid, like stoats, use in order to confuse their prey.
- Their way of moving may be based on certain desert snakes, who use a sideways movement in order to avoid the hot sand.
- As it was stated they have many predators and therefore many adaptations, its safe to assume Sidewinders are very low in the food chain.
- How to Speak Dragonese (Book 3), Cressida Cowell. 2005.
- The Complete Book of Dragons: A Guide To Dragon Species, Cressida Cowell. 2014.