Simon Otto is from Switzerland and grew up in a town outside Zurich. He started his art career by creating snow sculptures commercially. He started his education in banking, but soon turned back to art and attended the F&F Schule fuer Experimentelle Gestaltung in Zurich.
Simon Otto joined Dreamworks in 1997 and worked on his first animated film, The Prince of Egypt. He worked as a Supervising Animator for both 2D and CG animated films, including Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Flushed Away and Over the Hedge. He won a VES Award in 2011 for 'Outstanding Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture' for How to Train Your Dragon.
- The Road to El Dorado (2000) - Animator
- Bee Movie (2007) - Additional Animator
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) - Additional Animator
Dragons Franchise Filmography
- How to Train Your Dragon - Head of Character Animation
- Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon - Supervising Animator
- Book of Dragons - Head of Character Animation
- Gift of the Night Fury - Animation Consultant and Story Artist
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Head of Character Animation and Story Artist
- Dragons: Race to the Edge, episodes "A Grim Retreat" and "Crash Course" - Director