- "Its the Venus flytrap of dragons, the devious Snaptrapper!"
- ―(Book of Dragons) Gobber introducing the Snaptrapper
There is another type of Snaptrapper called the Leafy Snaptrapper which appeared in Dragons: Rise of Berk. They look similar, but their wings resemble orangey, dark green leaves.
The Snaptrapper is known to breathe a flammable mist containing methane, along with the smell of chocolate to lure in potential prey. As they great hunters as will use their body to look like giant plant to be preapre for prey to come to them. As shown from the Book of Dragon Special, they are able to swallow viking whole.
It can also release a horrid odor that can scare off even the most starving Titan Wing dragons as their self-defense.
However, this large dragon doesn't fly very fast and they are flexible as they are able to swing their heads around and also have flexible tails, similar to Hideous Zipplebacks.
How To Train Your Dragon (film)
The Snaptrapper first appeared in the film within the pages of the Dragon Manual when Hiccup was trying to find information on Night Furies. He did not state the dragon's name, although the book read that Snaptrappers are extremely dangerous, and should be killed on sight.
Book of Dragons
In the Book of Dragons short, they are categorized in the Fear Class like the Hideous Zippleback. They attract prey with a sweet smell of chocolate, which emanates from all four mouths. Like all dragons, they shed their scales and talons, but these eventually regrow. Snaptrappers love rain and enjoy splashing in the mud which could be based off the fact plants need water and damp areas.
Behavior and Training
This large dragon has shown to love rain and enjoy splashing in the mud, which could be based of the fact plants need water and damp areas. As this could be a way for training this dragon if they see a Viking playing in the mud as well.
- The Snaptrapper is based off a Venus Flytrap as well as looking like a cross between an European dragon and the Hydra from Greek Mythology.
- In the Book of Dragons special, the Snaptrapper is said to use the smell of chocolate to lure its prey; however, chocolate was unknown in Viking times, due to it being native to the Americans. It would have been more realistic to use honey, which was known to Vikings and more likely, since it is made from the nectar of flowers which the Snaptrapper's heads resemble. This might be a shoutout to the books though, due to one of the villains trying to find America.
- The Snaptrapper is one of the larger type of dragons, like the Scauldron, Timberjack, Typhoomerang, Boneknapper, Screaming Death and the Whispering Death.
- The only Snaptrapper that has been seen is green, so this could indicate that most or all Snaptrappers are green or greenish.
- In Dragon Tracker Part 4, the Snaptrapper was mislabeled as the Snappertrapper.
- In the Book of Dragons Short, the Snaptrapper seems to be bipedal.
- The Snaptrapper is one of the three dragons that doesn't have a forked tongue, along with the Flightmare and the Woolly Howl.