- "You can recognise Snotlout from a mile off by his enormous hairy nostrils, they are GIGANTIC, you could park a Gronckle up there. Snotlout is good at everything and a natural leader. The son of Baggybum the Beerbelly, Stoick the Vast’s younger brother, he is intending to get rid of Hiccup sometime in the future so that he, can become Chief of the Hairy Hooligan Tribe."
- ―Official How to Train Your Dragons Website
As the first part of the Dragon Initiation Program, Snotlout captures a Monstrous Nightmare from the Dragon Nursery, despite a longstanding Viking tradition stating that only the son of the chief can possess a Monstrous Nightmare.
At the Final Initiation Test on Thor'sday Thursday, Snotlout and all the other initiates fail, because no one was able to gain control over their fighting dragons, a fight started by Toothless. The punishment for failure is exile from the Tribe. Snotlout resents Hiccup for this and vows to kill him once they leave the island.
However, the next day after the failed Test and also a huge storm, the Isle of Berk is threatened by several colossal Seadragonus Giganticus Maximus. Snotlout initially refuses to assist Hiccup with his atypical plan, but Thuggory, the Meathead boy who is even bigger than Snotlout himself, threatens him to follow Hiccup's plan. Reluctantly he does so, and he and the exiled initiates save the island and get the banishment rescinded.
Snotlout is listed as a student in the Pirate Training Program in How to Be a Pirate, meaning he participates in lessons such as 'Swordfighting at Sea (Beginners Only)'. During one lession of 'Swordfighting at Sea', Hiccup volunteers to spar with Dogsbreath with wood-sheathed swords. The fight gets out of hand and the sheath comes off Dogsbreath's sword, and he almost kills Hiccup. Later, Snotlout implies that it was he who removed the sheath, hoping Dogsbreath would indeed kill Hiccup.
The 'Swordfighting at Sea' lesson is ended abruptly when a mysterious coffin rams into the novices' ship and sinks it. Everyone makes it to shore, and they return to Hooligan Village with it. The coffin ends up being that of Grimbeard the Ghastly, a famed Viking. Inside the coffin the Hooligans find Alvin, the poor-but-honest-farmer. He convinces Stoick to go on a quest to the Isle of the Skullions to look for Grimbeard's treasure with a riddle that was in the coffin. It indicates only the heir to Grimbeard can find the treasure. Despite the danger, Snotlout and many Hooligans set out to the Isle of the Skullions. Fireworm and Snotlout do find the treasure, and ultimately an argument insues between Stoick and Baggybum over who has claim to the treasure, the Stormblade, and the rule of the Hairy Hooligan Tribe. They are interrupted when Outcasts sneak aboard the Lucky Thirteen on their return trip home. Alvin turns out to be the Outcast Tribe chief. A custom of the Outcast tribe is to eat the chief and the heir in an act of cannibalism. When Alvin asks the heir to step forth, Snotlout remains quiet, though he and his father were just arguing that he was, indeed, the heir. Instead, Hiccup steps forward. However, Toothless - Hiccup's Dragon - inadvertently gives the Hooligans an opening to fight back, and a brave battle insues. Despite being young and smaller than the seasoned Outcast warriors, Snotlout fights valiantly along with the other Hooligans. He and the other Hooligans are awarded a Black Star for their heroicism.
As a Pirate Training Program student, Snotlout built a small ship named the Sparrowhawk in 'Shipbuilding' lessons, along with his partner, Dogsbreath the Duhbrain. They then participate in 'Board-an-Enemy-Ship' lesson on the Sea-Known-As-Woden's-Bathtub, along with the other novices. They are to board a Peaceable fishing boat, menace them, and take a helmet as a trophy. Before going after a fishing boat, Snotlout and Dogsbreath make sure to 'accidentally' ram Hiccup's and Fishlegs' boat, The Hopeful Puffin, damaging it and knocking it off course into the fog.
Later, while waiting for Gobber to appear in the Great Hall for a 'Frightening Foreigners' lesson, Snotlout, Dogsbreath, and Fireworm harass Fishlegs.
- "Snotlout and Dogsbreath the Duhbrain were sitting on Fishlegs while Fireworm set fire to a pile of Fishleg's workbooks."
- ―Book 3
During the lesson he demonstrates excellent technique when he strips Wartihog of his money and clothes.
Later still, Snotlout accompanies Stoick when he sends a war party out to confront the Romans at Fort Sinister. The Bog-Burglars follow, thinking the Hooligans had kidnapped their heir and then ran away. When Hiccup, Fishlegs, and Camicazi return, crash-landing a Roman Observation Balloon aboard The Blue Whale, Snotlout is angered that Hiccup is alive. As a sign of good will, the Bog-Burglar chief returns Grimbeard's Shield, something her tribe had stolen at least 100 years before. Snotlout grabs it and holds it up triumphantly, even though he had nothing to do with the heirs' return. Camicazi instructs Fishlegs to push him, which he does. Top-heavy from holding the shield, Snotlout falls into the sea and gets laughed at by everyone.
During a hunting-With-Bows-and-Arrows-on-Skis expedition, Gobber instructs the Viking novices and then promptly goes to sleep, leaving Hiccup in charge. The boys are to pair up and take a Sabre-Tooth Driver Dragon to haul them up Mount Villiany, then ski down the mountain and shoot as many Semi-Spotted Snowpeckers as possible. When the dragons don't listen to Hiccup right away, Snotlout gleefully whips them into submission. Hiccup tells him to stop, prompting Snotlout to snap the whip at Hiccup and hits him on the chest, where Toothless is sleeping, and wakes him up. Everyone then laughs at Toothless for having a coat on due to it being Winter.
This section requires expansion.
- "Adieu, Snotlout. I could not have done this without you"
Showing that Hiccup forgives Snotlout for the years of hatred between them.
Unlike his cousin Hiccup, Snotlout is strong, hearty, and excels at being a Viking. He is rather muscled for his age. He has a very large nose with wide nostrils.
- "Somebody like Snotlout, for instance, was tall, muscley, covered in skeleton tattoos, and already had the beginnings of a small moustache. This consisted of a few straggly yellow hairs clinging to his upper lip and was deeply unpleasant to look at, but still impressively manly for a boy not yet thirteen."
- ―How to Train Your Dragon
He is mentioned several times as looking like a pig, possibly due to his large snout.
By Book 3 (How to Speak Dragonese), Snotlout is starting to get the beginnings of adult male qualities, namely facial hair.
- "... Snotface Snotlout, a tall, unpleasantly smug-looking boy with gigantic nostrils and the beginnings of a small moustache."
- ―Book 2
As the Book series progresses, so to does Snotlout's facial hair growth.
- "Snotlout, a tall thug of a boy with huge nostrils and a moustache like a little furry caterpillar squirming on his upper lip."
- ―Book 4
Snotlout is good at all the lessons in the Dragon Initiation Program and the Pirate Training Program. He excels at being a brutish belligerent Viking and great at insulting others, which is ideal in his world.
- "Snotlout was a natural at Mindless Violence, superb at Advanced Rudery and practically everything else."
- ―Book 2
Snotlout is also excellent at swordfighting, even fending off adult Outcasts who are much larger and experienced than he, in How to Be a Pirate. He also won a Black Star - one of the highest medals of honour and bravery in the Hooligan Tribe - for helping win the battle.
In How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse, he is mentioned as having "won the Senseless Violence Cup three years in a row", which is an honor in Books' Viking world.
Snotlout is a bully, fully adhering to the survival of the fittest attitude of the Vikings - only the strong can belong. He is extremely competitive, but also feels pressure to be noticed, as he is only the second in line for the chiefdom on Berk.
Snotlout hoped to be the chief of the Hairy Hooligans one day despite the fact that Hiccup was the true heir; however, if something were to happen to Hiccup, Snotlout would've been next in line for the position. The two were well aware of this fact which spawned a hatred between them. However after his death Hiccup forgave Snotlout for the years of hatred between them. Hiccup even tells the tribes of the archipelago on the Island of Tomorrow of Snotlout's sacrifice.
Snotlout's father Baggybum was always very proud of his son for always being the best of the young Vikings. But after Snotlout betrayed his tribe and joined Alvin and his mother, Baggybum became very disappointed in his son, as seen in the Amber Slavelands. Though after Snotlout's sacrifice, Baggybum once again became proud of his son for his redemption.
Dogsbreath and Snotlout have a good relationship - that of leader and follower. Dogsbreath is his loyal sidekick and often does his bidding such as beating up someone, which Dogsbreath enjoys anyway.
- "What is it, Hiccup? A brown bunny rabbit with wings? A flower fairy? A fluffy flying frog?"
- ―Speaking about Toothless in Book 1
- "Disobey ME, would you, you SNIVELING CRAWLING PIECES OF FORKED-TONGUE RUBBISH! This'll learn you!"
- ―Whipping Sabre-Toothed Driver Dragons in Book 4
|"How to Train Your Dragon":||Appears||"How to Ride a Dragon's Storm":||Appears|
|"How to Be a Pirate":||Appears||"How to Break a Dragon's Heart":||Appears|
|"How to Speak Dragonese":||Appears||"How to Steal a Dragon's Sword":||Appears|
|"How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse":||Appears||"How to Seize a Dragon's Jewel":||Appears|
|"How to Twist a Dragon's Tale":||Appears||"How to Betray a Dragon's Hero":||Appears|
|"A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons":||Appears||"How to Fight a Dragon's Fury":||Mentioned|
- Though Snotlout and his film counterpart have many similarities, they also have many differences which include:
- The fact that in the franchise, Snotlout doesn't really hate Hiccup, he just looks down on him and mocks him, and at the end of the first film the two even become friends. While in the books Snoutlout legitimately hates Hiccup and wants him dead. Though this is resolved in the final few chapters of How to Betray a Dragon's Hero.
- Unlike the franchise, Snotlout and Hiccup are in fact cousins.