Constantly changing (novels)
Curious, loyal, and intelligent,
Stormfly is Astrid/Camicazi's dragon. She first appeared in A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons and has appeared in every following novel. In the film adaptation, rather, she is a Deadly Nadder and her rider is Astrid.
In the books
Main Article: Stormfly(Mood-Dragon)
Stormfly is very curious, playful, and loves to flirt with other dragons. Both Toothless and Hookfang fell in love with her at first sight. Stormfly is also a pathological liar, though it is usually easy to tell when she is lying, because she turns a shade of violet.
Quest to steal How to Train Your Dragon from the Library
When Hiccup, Camicazi, and Fishlegs infiltrated the Meathead Public Library, (A hero's guide to Deadly Dragons) Camicazi used Stormfly to guide their way. When Hiccup and Camicazi were fighting the Hairy Scary Librarian, his flailing arm hit Stormfly's delicate skull and she passed out. When she woke up, she was amnesiac, which made it impossible for the Vikings to retrace their way out of the Library.
Stormfly saved Hiccup, Fishlegs, and Camicazi from the Poisonous Piffleworm crowding the Dragon Whisperer's way (the secret tunnel behind the bookshelf in the Meathead public library) by whistling the national anthem of the Bogburglers. Camacazi, Hiccup, and Fishlegs boarded the unnamed Stealthdragon, whom Stormfly flirted with, causing Toothless to become jealous. She remembered a few things after smelling the horrible stench of the murderous madguts and slowly regained her memory after that.
Journey on the American Dream 2
Stormfly is kidnapped by Raptortongues along with Hiccup, Fishlegs, Camicazi and Toothless and taken to Norbert the Nutjob on the ship the American Dream 2. Stormfly was assisting Camicazi in the intertribal friendly swimming race as her hunting dragon would make her easier to spot from the beach and can help fight off predators.
Stormfly and Toothless provide the answer the escape problem on board the American Dream 2 as they infiltrate the cooking tent and eat dragon nip alerting Hiccup to its existence and that it could send the Hysteric tribe to sleep while they make their escape. Unfortunately Stormfly becomes distressed whilst Camicazi is steering the ship and causes her to lose control and the ship to lurch landing Hiccup in the path of some polar serpents.
During their long swim away from American and back across the ocean Stormfly and Toothless try to persuade Camicazi and Fishlegs not to swim across the ocean. Stormfly and Toothless fly above the humans when they are swimming across the ocean and alongside them when they use Norbert's flying machine. They are last seen flying above Camicazi, Hiccup and Fishlegs by the viking tribes and landing on the table next to the ticking thing.
Kidnap by Ug the UglythugStormfly was accompanying Camicazi in her boat the Stormy Petrel when a storm caused them to be lost at sea and kidnapped by Ug the Uglythug. Camicazi was sent to the Isle of Berserk to be held in one of their tree prisons and Stormfly was kept in a cage in the dragon stables until she learned better manners but her sentence was cut short by her rescue by Humongously Hotshot the Hero and the other ten fiancés.
Stormfly was returned to Berk and left on the Hooligan throne asleep in Fishlegs lobster pot and upon awakening told Camicazi that she bit that rude Uglythug many times.
Quests for Hiccup to be King
In How to Steal a Dragon's Sword, Stormfly fawned over Flashburn the Flashmaster with Camicazi. She teased One Eye for not having joined the Rebellion. She flirted with and manipulated Toothless to get him to steal some fortune cookies for her from the witch, causing Hiccup and Camicazi and Fishlegs to enter the witch hut. She went down into the caves with them, and found Flashburn tied up in there. Aside from eating many fortune cookies, that ends her participation in the book.
Stormfly resisted the Red Rage and stayed by Camicazi's side. She continued to flirt with every male dragon she came accross, but began giving Toothless special attention, suggesting that she may be starting to like him back. In How to Betray a Dragon's Hero, she agreed with Toothless that they shouldn't be out of the hideout, claiming that she had a tickly feeling in the back of her throat. She offered to go back and get Toothless's coat, saying that he looked quite cute in his coat and causing him to rethink wearing it. Camicazi told her that she probably just had indegestion from eating so fast. This offended Stormfly, who insisted that she was a free spirit, and didn't get indegestion. She was sad when Camicazi was taken captive, and disappointed when it turned out that the Wodensfang could speak Norse as well. She was impressed with Snotlout's trickery tactics, but said that he was lying to them, saying, "Trust a liar to know a liar".
In the film
In the film, a Deadly Nadder is shown to be kept locked up for Dragon Training. Later in the movie, while battling the Red Death, Astrid has chosen the same Deadly Nadder to ride and join the fight. At the end of the film, Astrid is seen on the dragon, along with the other young Vikings and their dragons.
In Gift of the Night FuryIn Gift of the Night Fury, the dragon's name is revealed to be Stormfly, and Astrid is very close to her. Stormfly and the rest of Berk's dragons leave suddenly, and Astrid was upset that her dragon is gone.
It is revealed that Stormfly and the dragons left to lay their eggs and hatch them. Stormfly herself becomes a mother of three Nadder hatchlings. Thanks to Hiccup and his efforts, the dragons all return to Berk, and Astrid is reunited with Stormfly and overjoyed to see Stormfly's new babies.
In Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon
Stormfly makes a very short appearance in Legend of the Boneknapper Dragon. She is seen along with Astrid, dumping water over the Belch house in an effort to put out the fire, that Gobber claims to have been caused by the Boneknapper.
In Dragons: The Series
In the TV series, Astrid still has Stormfly. Stormfly is the most beautiful dragon in the Dragon Training Academy. Astrid wakes up every morning and Stormfly is the first thing she sees. In the preview episode of the show, Astrid is heartbroken at the thought of having Stormfly taken away, saying that she was used to having the dragon around. It should also be noted that Astrid is very excited in getting her dragon back when Hiccup announces that they can keep their dragons.
In "Animal House," dragons were revealed to have protective instincts. Stormfly is seen protecting sheep with her wings gently and in a comforting way at the end of the episode. Stormfly also appears to be rather intelligent, caring and protective of Astrid. The pair seem to have a strong bond, though not quite as strong as the bond between Hiccup and Toothless.
In "Dragon Flower", it was revealed that Stormfly can shoot tail spines if someone touches her on her blind spot, when she is ill, or when she is startled while sleeping.
In "Heather Report Part I," it is shown that Stormfly is beginning to rival Toothless in speed, as Astrid was experimenting with her diet, and apparently, it was working. Later in the same episode, it was revealed that Stormfly was able to fly faster because Astrid had been feeding her cooked chicken every day, rather than fish. This indicates that chicken gives more stamina to a dragon, and it increases a dragon's speed. She was also ridden by Heather, although Hiccup noted that Heather was not capable of riding Stormfly at the same speed as Astrid could push her at. Astrid also gave her the cooked leg of a bigger farm animal (probably sheep) in "When Lightning Strikes".
In "Live and Let Fly", Astrid fed her fish instead, since there was a ban on flying. Stormfly wasn't to happy with going back to fish.
Abilities and Skills
- Intelligence: She is very intelligent and Stormfly show to be able to learn Astrid's coomands.
- Communication: Stormfly has been trained to understand Astrid's hand gestures for commands like “Spine shoot”, she has also learned how to recognize he rider's dragon call that acts as a beckon in case her and her rider get's seperated.
- Speed: Thanks to her diet of chicken, Stormfly can keep up with Toothless in the air.
- Loyalty: Stormfly is shown to have a strong bond with her rider, and is caring and protective of Astrid. Though sometimes she's willing to connect with others, like Heather, and let them rider her.
- Fire: Stormfly can use her fire to hold it in her mouth to see in the dark cave.
- Synchronization: Stormfly will let Astrid do handsprings and cartwheels while flying in the air
- Spineshot: Her spine shot is the most often attack to be use against enemies and can be used for helping people to climb mountains. Stormfly is also able to accurately shoot one spine if she's tapped on the back of her head.
- Endurance: It's shown that she can take hits from other dragons until she loses a fight.
- Strength: Stormfly can lift her rider and can carry heavy loads at the same time in the air like holding large metal cage with Leader Stinger inside also can hold another speed stinger with no signs of struggling.
- Rescue Skill: She was train to use her spine shots to be use for mountain so people can climb up.
- Fighting Style: Stormfly show to be great fighter. Will fight most dragons like she show to fight monstrous nightmare like Hookfang. She will use her spines to attack more then her fire.
- In the books, Stormfly is one of the few dragons that have not joined the dragon rebellion.
- In the movie, Stormfly's wings are mainly yellow with some blue, but in the series they are mostly blue with some red and no yellow. This could be a mistake or it could be the fact that dragons' colors change as they age.
- She sometimes sleeps while she is standing.
- Stormfly seems to rely more on her tail spines than her fire.
- Like Camicazi, Astrid has a thing for stealth dragons.
- In the 2nd movie, Stormfly has lighter and more colors.
- The Dragon Call Astrid uses to summon Stormfly is very similar to a wolf's howl.