- "With a strong enough wind, these humped back dragons can pick up a scent from anywhere in the archipelago or beyond.
For a clearer view of the battlefield, these sturdy dragons prefer to fire their icy blasts from the back of the pack during a fight."
- ―Dragons: Rise of Berk
Windgnasher eggs are normally round-shaped eggs. They have some spikes on them, with larger ones clustered at the top.
Hatchling to Adult
The Windgnasher has a distinct hump on its back and snout. In addition, it has a crown-like frill at the back of its head. Its body is covered with bumps throughout, and the tip of its tail is armed with a mace-like bludgeon.
Titan Windgnashers are pink in colour, while the edges of their crowns, wings and spikes are green. These dragons appeared to have grown more spikes and bumps, many of which are longer and sharper.
Sense of Smell
As a Tracker Class dragon, the Windgnasher is described to have a keen sense of smell, which can detect scents anywhere in the Barbaric Archipelago and beyond.
The Windgnasher uses it's mace-like tail to bludgeon its enemies.
In Dragons: Rise of Berk, the Windgnasher is shown to have a "blizzard" attack, a very powerful icy blast with whirling winds.
- The Windgnasher is the second dragon with "wind" in its name, with the first being the Windstriker and the third being the Windwalker.
- The name Windgnasher was copyrighted by DreamWorks before the release of How to Train Your Dragon 2, but it wasn't known which dragon it belonged to until Dragons: Rise of Berk released this dragon in March 2016.
- There was a rumor about this dragon being a Windgnasher, long before it appeared in Rise of Berk.
- The dragon skull seen in Viggo's tent in Race to the Edge looks very similar to the head of a Windgnasher, due to all of the bumps on its face and the frill on the back of its head. The only difference is the massive horns that the skull has, which is a feature that the Windgnasher lacks.