- "For generations, the Wingmaidens and the Razorwhips have lived in perfect harmony."
The Wingmaidens are a tribe of women who care for hatchling Razorwhips in place of the dragon mothers in prevention of male dragons killing them. They make their first appearance in Dragons: Race to the Edge, Season 5.
- Atali: "Heather, were you aware that nearly a thousand years ago, the Razorwhip almost became extinct?"
- Heather: "No, I had no idea."
- Atali: "It's true. And it was then that our Wingmaiden tribe was charged with a divine mission. A mission given to us by Freya herself, and one we fulfill with great honor to this day."
- ―Atali explains the Wingmaidens' mission to protect the Razorwhips[src]
When Snotlout falls from Hookfang during a storm and falls into the sea, he is rescued by some mysterious winged women and brought back to their island to recover. When he wakes up, finding himself surrounded by beautiful women, he thinks he's died and gone to Valhalla. Their leader, Atali, insists otherwise, and is greatly disturbed by his disrespectful attitude toward women. To force him to show respect, she and the other maidens suggest he's going to be main ingredient in their "Sacred Stew", and then tie him up.
Meanwhile, Astrid, Ruffnut, and Heather are flying toward Wingmaiden Island on Windshear, since Heather could sense something familiar that the inhabitants and her dragon share, and are met by Atali and two of her escorts. Atali invites them to rest up and eat before heading on their way. So the three Riders follow them.
Once on the island, Ruff and Heather play some boar wrestling with some of the natives while Astrid finds Snotlout and frees him. Atali then shares with the girls the reason for their tribe's existence, and how female Razorwhips will attack any male they sense near their babies, no matter the species of the males. They panic at the discovery that Snotlout was now free and running through Razorwhip nesting grounds, and both the Riders and the Wingmaidens head out to rescue him again.
- It's suggested that Snotlout mistook the Wingmaidens to be Valkyries; beautiful female demi-gods who escort warriors to Odin once they arrive in Valhalla after death.
- The maidens wear metal armor-like clothing that is a bit like Heather's Race to the Edge clothing and Razorwhip scales. This is possibly done to help the young Razorwhips in feeling comfortable with their presence.
|The image gallery for Wingmaidens |
may be viewed here.
|Tribes of the Barbaric Archipelago|